If you are looking to have an authentic Icelandic experience with your stay then Hotel Egilssen, without a doubt, is the place for you to be. Designed with the idea of providing a home-like comfort in a strange land, Hotel Egilssen combines guest stays with mingling, swapping stories with natives, having friendly conversations, and planning adventures. It can be considered as the ideal authentic Icelandic experience in terms of daily life and historical significance of the art of living in the country provided alongside world-class services, luxury modern furnished rooms in a building that represents the vintage heritage of Iceland. This historical building falls under direct protection of the Cultural Heritage Act of the nation making it an important landmark as well.
Suites and the Facilities
Every room of Hotel Egilssen is as much in touch with modernity as the outside appearance of the building is associated with the historical vintage designs. The suites are lined with impeccable mismatched furniture which somehow blends creating a space of abstract art. There are 4 basic types of rooms available for you to choose from.
- Single Room: There are a total of 2 single rooms which are located on the 3rd floor in the attic with sloped ceilings. One of the rooms overlooks the old town and the harbor while the other has a view of restaurant Narfeyrarstofa and the Old Church. The rooms can accommodate only one adult.
- Standard Double Room: One of these rooms is located on the first floor and the other 2 are on the third-floor attic with sloped ceilings.
- Superior Double Room: Three superior standard double rooms are located on the second floor which has a view of the harbor, the town, and the bay. These rooms are perfect for family lodgings with a large bed and can accommodate an extra cot or mattress for babies.
- Superior Double/Twin Room: The Superior twin rooms have twin beds and can fit and extra mattress on request or a baby cot. Two of the rooms are on the second floor and the other one is on the first floor.
Common Amenities in the rooms
- All-natural COCO- Mat beds
- Goose-down duvets, pillow with ecological cotton bedcovers
- Bathroom with power showers and L’Occitane toiletries
- Bathrobes, hairdryers and wool blankets by Vík Prjónsdóttir
- Free WIFI and iPad
- 24×7 room service concierge
This is the location where guests are greeted initially on their arrival. There is also an arrangement for serving breakfast here in the morning. Breakfast is prepared in-house hence it has a home-made quality to it. Eggs, Icelandic Salmon, granola, smoothies, and yogurt are a few items from the meal menu. You can sit, spend some time, relax, have a chat with the staff or family and friends, or enjoy a good book here. The area is decorated in a warm, welcoming fashion with cozy couches, tacky furniture pieces, and warm rugs.
Hotel Egilssen bar serves a variety of beers and in-house cocktails especially made by their bartender. Winter season specials include a variety of warm drinks as well.
Combined with the lounge is a small library for you to enjoy some reading. The hotel also allows you to exchange your books with the ones available in the library. You can simply talk to a staff member and exchange from the available ones.
Things to do in the Area
The nearby attractions that you can experience include puffin tours to Flatey island which will include a ferry ride, visit Kirkjufell mountain which will include a small 40-minute drive from the hotel, or simply explore the rich culture of Stykkishólmur village.
If you are interested in exploring the whole peninsula, you can take a look at our article about the Best Places to visit on Snæfellsnes Peninsula.
The comfortable sea-themed rooms and a home-like atmosphere is our favorite from the list of marvelous experiences that we had at Hotel Egilssen. The staff is extremely polite and attentive to all your needs. You are sure to feel as if you are staying in the comfort of your own house in Hotel Egilssen. The convenient location is a huge plus point and came in very handy while planning the trips. The hotel is situated right in the middle of one of the most beautiful villages of Snæfellsnes Peninsula and has great restaurants nearby for an authentic experience of Icelandic cuisine.