Eyjafjallajökull Super Jeep Tour
A tour to the towering glacier-capped volcano, Eyjafjallajökull will provide you with the beautiful view of Iceland’s one of the most famous volcanoes. In this winter tour, you can witness the natural beauty of only the ice-capped volcano of Iceland. This will be an on-request tour where you can go with your friends or the family and view new sights of the highlands. The mode of transportation is a super jeep that is fully-equipped with modern facilities and comfort. Get ready for a tour that will make incredible memories in your life.
Information on the tour
The tour departs from Midgard Base Camp, Dufþaksbraut 14, located in Hvolsvöllur. In this amazing tour to the smallest ice caps of Iceland, you will be traveling with a maximum number of 16 travelers. You can also choose to go on a private tour with your travel partners or travel with other groups of fellow travelers. In one of the options of this tour, we cross the unbridged rivers on our way to Gígjökull, the outlet glacier of Eyjafjallajökull, providing an adventurous experience. Customized pick-ups from nearby hotels in Hell/ Hvolsvöllur area can also be arranged.
About the Destinations on the tour
- Eyjafjallajökull: Consisting of a volcano that is completely covered by an ice cap, Eyjafjallajökull can be seen from miles away in Iceland. This majestic volcano dominates the area of South Iceland. It is standing tall between the Mt. Hekla and Mt. Katla that collectively increase the beauty of this volcanic hill.
You can read more about this mighty glacier volcano here.
- Gígjökull Glacier: In perfect weather conditions, this tour will take you up on the glacier to get to the top crater. The panoramic view from the top crater is spectacular. You will capture a wide view of the surrounding lands of Iceland, the milky white surrounding glaciers, and the beautiful black beaches. The view over the Westman Islands including the vast crater that was known for the ejection of 500 tons of ash per second will amaze you.
Each view will be worth every second of this 7 hour-long tour. Bring hiking shoes and warm clothes according to the weather to make your journey comfortable. In the super jeep, you will be traveling with a professional guide who will assist you during the complete journey and provide information about the places.
Professional English Speaking Super Jeep Guide
Super Jeep Tour
Shorter hikes along the way and when arriving in Þórsmörk – optional
Pick up and drop off in Hvolsvöllur / Hella area – other pickup location on request
Beautiful sights and scenery
What to bring
Good Hiking Shoes
Warm clothing (first layer)
Day Backpack where you can put lunch, extra snacks and water.
Good to know
- There is a minimum of 4 participants for this tour. In case of fewer bookings we will give you two choices: alternative trip or 100% refund. Maximum group size is 10 people.
- Fresh packed lunch is available upon request.
- This tour is available as a private tour upon request.
- This tour is suitable for both single travelers, groups and families.
- The tour departs from Midgard Base Camp in Hvolsvöllur, south Iceland.
- If you arrive early you can go to Midgard Base Camp for a cup of coffee.
- Pick up from your accommodation in the area is also included in the tour.
- All our tours have the flexibility needed to make sure you have the best possible day depending on weather and road conditions.
- Pick up available in Reykjavik for extra fee of ISK 60.000 per group.
Interesting locations in the area
Most frequent questions and answers
The meeting point is at Midgard Base Camp in Hvolsvöllur in south Iceland.
Driving time from Reykjavik to Midgard Base Camp is around 1 hour and 30 minutes. If you arrive early, you can grab a coffee at the camp.
We recommend that you wear comfortable shoes. You do not need hiking shoes, but if you are interested in hiking around the area, we recommend that you bring them.
We do hike in the rain, snow, wind and any other weather conditions that nature decides to throw at us. After all, we’re going on adventures! If the weather is unsafe for any reason, the trip will be changed or postponed. You will be notified the week of your trip if there are changes due to weather.
It is recommended to have a sturdy pair of broken-in trail shoes, boots, or sneakers (depending on the tour). It is preferable to dress in layers and wear clothing that will wick away perspiration and keep you dry and comfortable. We recommend that you take a small backpack with you where you can keep extra clothes. As the weather is very unpredictable we advice people to check the weather forecast the evening before.
Here is a list that is good to have in mind when packing for an active vacation in Iceland:
- Hiking Boots – Preferably of waterproof material (Gore-Tex or alternative)
- Long sleeve shirt (thermal underwear) – Wool or synthetic
- Light wool sweater or fleece (2nd layer)
- Trousers (2nd layer) – Strong and light material that dries quickly. Wind resistant and water repelling preferable.
- Rain Jacket or an Anorak with hood – Waterproof and breathable material. Gore-Tex or equivalents are preferable.
- Rain trousers – Waterproof and breathable material
- Liner Gloves – Wool or synthetic (polypropylene / polyester)
- Socks – Wool or synthetic. One or two pairs for thermal and blister prevention
- Hat or beanie – Wool or synthetic
Please contact us to get the latest information on your desired trip.
Reservations are required for guaranteed spots on all tours. Reservations help us determine the number of guides we need to ensure that our groups remain manageable and enjoyable, and they allow us to notify you of changes to the tour due to weather or anything that could disturb the tours.
We understand that you may not have a printer handy when you’re traveling so it is not necessary to have a printed copy. However, we require that you show ID matching your reservation.
It is possible to have a pick up in Reykjavik for the fee of ISK 60.000 per group.