Helmet & Flashlight/Torch
Experienced lava cave guide
Entrance to the lava cave
English speaking guidance
What to bring
Good to know
- We recommend that you dress according to the weather of the day.
- It is colder inside the cave than up on the surface so wear warm clothes.
- You will go 35 meters below the surface and 200 meters inside the cave.
- If you have any special requirements, please inform the tour operator as quickly as possible.
- Guests are required to show up 10-15 min before tour departs.
- Vatnshellir cave is located in Snæfellsnes Peninsula, 2 hours 37 minutes from Reykjavik.
- This tour is perfect for single travelers, groups and families.
Interesting locations in the area
Most frequent questions and answers
The meeting point for the tour is at Vatnshellir lava cave in Snæfellsnes Peninsula.
The driving time to Víðgelmir from Reykjavik is 2 hours 37 minutes.
You will be walking down stairs that lead into the lava cave.
Vatnshellir is one of the most easily accessible cave in Iceland, however you need to be reasonably fit to participate. Exactly how fit is difficult to say, but if you can walk up 2-3 story building without stopping and if you don’t have trouble walking on uneven surfaces you should be fine.
We recommend that you dress warmly for the cave tour, since the temperature is just above freezing throughout the year. Hiking shoes/boots are recommended but sneakers are acceptable. We will not permit high heels or flat-bottom shoes including flip-flops for this activity. Gloves are recommended for your safety and comfort. If you fall down, gloves can save your hands from the knife-sharp lava rock!
You will receive a full refund if the tour gets cancelled due to weather.
Yes, and you definitely should! The setting on the tour is full of amazing, scenic views.
No, there are no restrooms at the lava cave. The closest restrooms are at Malarrif Visitor Center.