Black Beach Horse Riding with the Friendliest Icelandic Horses
Iceland seems to be very calm and serene, but what it holds underneath is something that is enough to leave you spellbound and mesmerized for sure. The first thought that hits up our mind when we think of visiting Iceland is witnessing the massive lava fields, snow-capped mountains, and volcanoes, waterfalls, lagoons, steaming geysers, and what not! Iceland is indeed one of the most stunning places on Earth that never fails to shut you stun with the beauty and power of nature. But for those travelers who would like to spend some quality time with their family, nothing better than going on a horse ride and that too alongside a black sand beach. Yes, many of you might not have added this to your “bucket list”, but trust us, black beach riding on a horse takes your Icelandic experience a notch higher.
Enjoy Black Beach Riding Tour with Your Family
Black Beach Riding Tour is ideal for the medium and experienced riders, who want to spend time amidst the serene Icelandic environment. This is a 25 km horseback riding tour that starts at the Sólhestar base, near the small village Þorlákshöfn. From this place, we will ride along the soft sandy beach for nearly about 3 kilometers and by the small village Eyrarbakki, through the beautiful Ölfusengjar meadows to our home base. When we are back to the Sólhestar base, enjoy some time having coffee and cookies, before heading back to your hotel. The complete tour will take around 7 hours if it includes your pickup, else it will take around 5 hours, which is the riding time. The pick-up point for this tour is at Reykjavik and Selfoss. Don’t forget to carry essentials along with you, and dress according to the weather.
Count on a unique experience of riding a majestic and incredibly intelligent Icelandic horse. Icelandic horses are very gentle, friendly in nature, sure-footed, and a complete delight to be around. This ride will give you an ideal opportunity to test the most famous TÖLT over a long distance while enjoying the scenic landscape and ocean view. Horse riding on an Icelandic horse is something you would want to experience over and over again.
Professional horse riding guide
Free pick up from Reykjavik & Selfoss
What to bring
Warm & waterproof clothing
Good to know
- Dress according to weather.
- If you ask for pickup, we will be at your pickup place in Reykjavik 60 min before set riding time.
- It is also possible to get a pick up from Selfoss.
- If you have your own car, please be at our location 30 min before set riding time.
- If you did not choose pick up, the meeting point is at Ölfus farm in south Iceland, about 40 minutes drive from Reykjavik.
- The duration of this tour is 7 hours with pickup, without pick up the duration of the tour is 5 hours.
- You will be spending 4 – 5 hours on the horse.
- It is possible to book this tour on other times upon request. Please contact us for more information.
- It is possible to book this as a private tour. Please contact us for more information.
- This tour is ideal for single travelers, groups & families.
- This tour is ideal for medium and experienced riders.
- This tour offers small groups and personal service.
You might find interesting...
Self Driving Activities
Locations in the area
Most frequent questions and answers
The meeting point is in Ölfus in south Iceland.
The driving time from Reykjavik to the meeting point is approximately 45 minutes (53 kilometres) in good road condition.
You should schedule to be at our departure point at least 30 minutes before scheduled departure.
This tour is available with a pick up from Reykjavik and Selfoss. The pick up is included in the price of the tour.
You will be picked up in Reykjavik 60 minutes before the tour starts.
We offer pick up from ION Adventure hotel for extra fee of ISK 6.000. The pick up starts 60 minutes before set riding time.
You will be on the horse for 4-5 hours.
This is a 25 kilometer horse riding tour to the beach.
This tour is perfect for experiencing the unique TÖLT since you will be going over a long distance.
If the tour gets cancelled due to weather you can choose between rescheduling the tour for another departure or receiving a full refund.
- 2 days notice: 100% charge
- 6 days notice: 70% charge
- 8 days notice: 0% charge
Yes, and you definitely should! The setting on the tour is full of amazing, scenic views.
We do not recommend horse riding tours for pregnant women.
There are plenty of free parking lots next to the meeting point of the tour.
Yes, we have variety of horse riding tours that departures from Reykjavik.