Hop on For A Thrilling Super Jeep Tour To Þórsmörk
Truly a treasure for adventure seekers, environmentalists, and travel enthusiasts, yes, Iceland is a place with incredible landscapes, beautiful panoramic views, secret lagoons, hidden hot springs, and massive human-sized icebergs. When you travel across Iceland, you will witness the raw and unseen natural views, that are probably the most stunning and spectacular places across the globe. But there is one more place that you can not afford to miss and that place is Þórsmörk. Exploring this place on a jeep takes the adventure to the next level. Þórsmörk is a bit different from others, so let’s explore what makes it different and what else it holds for the visitors.
Valley of Thunder God: Thor
Þórsmörk is a beautiful mountain reserve, a valley that is specifically named after Thor, the Thunder God. This valley sits spectacularly amidst three of the sparkling ice caps named Mýrdalsjökull, Tindfjallajökull, and the famous Eyjafjallajökull. This place is located in the heart of south Iceland highlands and is surrounded by the grand mountain ridges with contrasting forest areas and massive lava fields. It has everything for everyone – from hiking options to short adventurous rides across the area. Þórsmörk valley has been one of the most popular destinations of Icelandic Highlands. For off-road adventure, the jeeps are well equipped to handle rough terrain and prove best while crossing un-bridged rivers or tackling the gravel road. Riding on a super jeep is indeed an adventure on its own.
As soon as you board your jeep and head towards Þórsmörk, you will experience the raw, unexplored nature that awaits you. You will depart from Hella/Hvolsvöllur area. On your way, you will see the Gígjökull glacier; this sight is known for the powerful floods that occurred during the 2010 eruption in Eyjafjallajökull, where you will learn about the local’s perspective about the famous volcanic eruption. For your information, this eruption had stopped air traffic across Europe and was exposed to the surrounding farms with floods and ash. Now, along the way, you will find many places where you can go hiking. You will cross rough Iceland’s highland F-roads and gushing glacial rivers too. This is sure to give you goosebumps and bring out the adventure in you. After a full adventurous day of a jeep tour and exploration, you will head towards your location in Hvolsvöllur. When you go on this super jeep tour to Þórsmörk, don’t forget to carry your essentials, of outdoor clothing, good quality hiking boots, and your meals as well. This is going to be the most adventurous tour of your lifetime.
Professional English Speaking Super Jeep Guide
Super Jeep Tour
Shorter hikes along the way and when arriving in Þórsmörk – optional
Pick up and drop off in Hvolsvöllur / Hella area – other pickup location on request
Beautiful sights and scenery
What to bring
Good Hiking Shoes
Warm clothing (first layer)
Day Backpack where you can put lunch, extra snacks and water.
Good to know
- There is a minimum of 4 participants for this tour. In case of fewer bookings we will give you two choices: alternative trip or 100% refund. Maximum group size is 10 people.
- Fresh packed lunch is available upon request.
- This tour is available as a private tour upon request.
- This tour is suitable for both single travelers, groups and families.
- The tour departs from Midgard Base Camp in Hvolsvöllur, south Iceland.
- If you arrive early you can go to Midgard Base Camp for a cup of coffee.
- Pick up from your accommodation in the area is also included in the tour.
- All our tours have the flexibility needed to make sure you have the best possible day depending on weather and road conditions.
- Pick up available in Reykjavik for extra fee of ISK 60.000 per group.
Interesting locations in the area
Hotels & Restaurants
Most frequent questions and answers
The meeting point is at Midgard Base Camp in Hvolsvöllur in south Iceland.
Driving time from Reykjavik to Midgard Base Camp is around 1 hour and 30 minutes. If you arrive early, you can grab a coffee at the camp.
We recommend that you wear comfortable shoes. You do not need hiking shoes, but if you are interested in hiking around the area, we recommend that you bring them.
We do hike in the rain, snow, wind and any other weather conditions that nature decides to throw at us. After all, we’re going on adventures! If the weather is unsafe for any reason, the trip will be changed or postponed. You will be notified the week of your trip if there are changes due to weather.
It is recommended to have a sturdy pair of broken-in trail shoes, boots, or sneakers (depending on the tour). It is preferable to dress in layers and wear clothing that will wick away perspiration and keep you dry and comfortable. We recommend that you take a small backpack with you where you can keep extra clothes. As the weather is very unpredictable we advice people to check the weather forecast the evening before.
Here is a list that is good to have in mind when packing for an active vacation in Iceland:
- Hiking Boots – Preferably of waterproof material (Gore-Tex or alternative)
- Long sleeve shirt (thermal underwear) – Wool or synthetic
- Light wool sweater or fleece (2nd layer)
- Trousers (2nd layer) – Strong and light material that dries quickly. Wind resistant and water repelling preferable.
- Rain Jacket or an Anorak with hood – Waterproof and breathable material. Gore-Tex or equivalents are preferable.
- Rain trousers – Waterproof and breathable material
- Liner Gloves – Wool or synthetic (polypropylene / polyester)
- Socks – Wool or synthetic. One or two pairs for thermal and blister prevention
- Hat or beanie – Wool or synthetic
Please contact us to get the latest information on your desired trip.
Reservations are required for guaranteed spots on all tours. Reservations help us determine the number of guides we need to ensure that our groups remain manageable and enjoyable, and they allow us to notify you of changes to the tour due to weather or anything that could disturb the tours.
We understand that you may not have a printer handy when you’re traveling so it is not necessary to have a printed copy. However, we require that you show ID matching your reservation.
It is possible to have a pick up in Reykjavik for the fee of ISK 60.000 per group.
You can order the Lunch Box when booking the tour. Find it under Extras in the booking engine.
The price for each Lunch box is ISK 2.700