Slide on your party pants and get ready to have a taste of the infamous nightlife of the capital city of Reykjavik on this Ultimate Reykjavik Night tour. This fabulous tour will take you out in the streets of Reykjavik and let you have a dose of the delicious Icelandic beers, food, and the most important attraction, the northern lights. Food, drinks, dance, banter, and calm, this amazing tour of the capital city has it all that you need to experience once the night falls in the land of ice and fire. So, pick up your day pack and hop on the ride to start one of the greatest journeys of your stay in Iceland.
Dive into the Pool of Local Culture
This tour is the ideal activity to add to your itinerary if you are enthusiastic about learning the local cultures, trends, flavors, and food. You will make two stops on this night tour of the capital city. Let’s find out a bit more about your destinations.
Located by the Old Habor in the capital city, Bryggjan Brugghús is the very first independent microbrewery in Iceland. This bar/restaurant has a historical theme that explains the history of fishing in Iceland. The rustic environment of the restaurant makes up a great environment to have a few drinks and relax. The menu of the bar offers freshly brewed 12 different types of beers along with an extensive menu of luxurious seafood and other traditional dishes. There are several tours taken to the brewery, some of the samples 3 out of the two beers, and another offer sampling for all 6 kinds of beers. The fact that this restaurant is located by the old harbor, Bryggjan Brugghús is a great place to hang out with some friends and get one on one with the culture and traditions of Iceland.
Northern Lights Hunting
The next destination that you will stop at will be a well-researched palace by our researchers and guides near the capital city, most probably on the outskirts of the settlement, where you can easily spot the northern lights. Aurora Borealis is one of the main reasons for many people visiting Iceland and for all good reasons too. Northern lights are incredibly beautiful and one of the most amazing natural phenomena that one can witness when in Iceland. So, it is a must to have at one hunt of the northern light on your travel planner. But the matter of fact is that it takes a lot of research and calculations to find out the right place and time for the lights to appear even during the right season. So, our experts take off all the work that needs to be put in the search for the northern lights and prepare a well-researched place and time slot so that you can get a good view of high-intensity northern lights.
The Proceedings of the Tour
You will meet your tour guide and the rest of the tour party in Bryggjan Brugghús where you will start with local beer and food tasting. You will get to taste 6 different kinds of beer in the restaurant and have a 6-course meal of Icelandic traditional food – made using quality local ingredients and served in ‘Tapas’ style by the chefs.
After you have had your fill in the restaurant-cum-bar, our tour bus will pick you up from Bryggjan Brugghús and head to the spot chosen for the northern lights hunting. The bus is equipped with a computerized guide that is downloaded on outsmarting tablets that are available on the bus. The guide will help you learn a bit about the northern lights as well as offer a start map to study the skies during the trip. Once you reach the desired spot you will spend an ample amount of time gazing at and appreciating the Aurora as well as taking insta-worthy snaps. The tour guide will accompany you throughout the tour and will be available to solve any doubts or problems that you may have during the tour.
- It is recommended to wear appropriate clothing according to the weather since the tour will take place in the night-time after 6 pm. Make sure that you are wearing a hat, gloves, waterproof, and windproof out clothing as well as a scarf. Proper layers of warm clothes underneath will also be required since you will spend a significant amount of time outside.
- The minimum age limit to join this tour is 20 years.
- The second half of the tour depends on the weather forecast of the day and can be rebooked for free if canceled. You will be notified on the day of the tour if the northern lights part of the tour has to be cancelled due to weather. We do not want to take you on a northern lights hunt if we know that the northern lights are not going to show up.
- It is advised to bring your earphones so that you can comfortably listen to the audiobooks available onboard the tour bus. In case you forget, earphones are also sold on the bus. The bus audio guide is available in 10 different languages. USB charging points and Wi-Fi is available on the bus as well.
- Astronomy binoculars and camera tripod stands are available for everyone to use on the tour free of cost.
- If you would like to photograph the northern lights you might want to check out our northern lights photography guide.
A local host/guide that will take you around Reykjavik.
Beer tasting of six different Icelandic beers.
Six Icelandic courses, locally sourced and cooked by Bryggjan Brugghús Chefs and served “Tapas” style.
Knowledgeable Northern Lights expert
Free use of astronomy binoculars
Free star map to learn about the sky above you, at that specific time in the year.
Tablets in each seat with information so you can learn the basics of Northern Lights photography
Free use of camera tripods, every tour has tripods that fit almost any camera or phone
Northern Lights Guarantee – if you don’t see the northern lights you can come again for free!
Free Wi-Fi and USB charger for each seat on the bus
In-bus audio guide with a choice of 10 languages
Wherever the northern lights are most likely to show up
What to bring
Dress according to weather
Gloves & Headwear
Good to know
- As this is an experience involving alcohol, you must be at least 20 years of age to participate. Be sure to bring identification with you to participate.
- Northern Lights Guaranteed – Please note, it will not be possible to refund this tour in the event of an unsuccessful northern lights hunt. However, you may re-book the northern lights portion of the tour and continue coming back on subsequent tours until you have a tour of successful northern lights.
- You will be traveling in a coach that holds approximately 40-65 people, but is very spacious and comfortable. There is no bathroom on the bus but there will be plenty of stops where facilities can be used.
- We recommend that you dress according to the weather of the day. When going to hunt for the northern lights it is always wise to dress in warm waterproof clothes. Weather changes can be sudden so be prepared for all weather conditions. Waterproof jacket and pants, headwear and gloves, and warm socks/waterproof shoes are recommended, especially since we will be outside at night.
- We recommend that you bring your own headphones for the audio guide in the bus. Otherwise headphones are available for purchase in every bus from our hosts.
- If you have a DSLR Camera and Tripod bring them along. Our guides will help you set up you camera so that you can take home a memory of the northern lights.
- Please show up at our Reykjavik Terminal (located at Skógarhlíð 10) 15 minutes prior to the departure time.
- We kindly ask you to be ready at your pick up point with your voucher, either in digital or printed form.
- If you have booked a hotel pickup, please be at your chosen pickup location 30 minutes before the departure of the tour. Look for the Green Smartbus™ which will be outside your accommodation at within the 30 minutes of pickup.
- You will be traveling in a coach that holds approximately 40-65 people, but is very spacious and comfortable. It is featured with lavatory facilities as standard. The bus offers free wifi and USB charging ports.
- Lunch is not included and this trip does not have a scheduled lunch time. After the trip to the ice cave, we have limited time before heading to the lava tunnel so it is highly recommended bring some snacks or lunch for the way.
- This tour is perfect for single travelers, groups and families.
Interesting locations in the area
Restaurants & hotels
Most frequent questions and answers
Your meeting point for the tour is at Bryggjan Burgghus restaurant. This is where your beer and food tasting tour will take place.
After the beer and food tasting tour you will be picked up for the northern lights hunt.
As this is an experience involving alcohol, you must be at least 20 years of age to participate. Be sure to bring identification with you to participate.
If you don’t see the northern lights on the tour, you can the northern lights part of the tour and continue coming back on subsequent tours until you have a night of successful northern lights.
You will receive a full refund if the tour gets cancelled due to weather.
Yes, and you definitely should! The setting on the tour is full of amazing, scenic views.
You will also find a tablet in the bus with information about the northern lights and how to photograph them.
Yes, the guides on the tour will help you with your camera and can take photos of you with the northern lights (on your camera).
There will be tripods available for the travelers on the tour. However, if you have your own, we recommend that you bring it. We only have few tripods on each bus, so you might have to wait while the other people on the tour are using it.