Iceland is a mysterious place that is home to magnificent creatures and stunning travel destinations. Investing your time to explore Iceland is probably your best investment that creates lifetime memories and experience to cherish forever. It has everything you ever wish to explore and should definitely be there on your bucket list. In North Iceland, in Skjálfandi Bay fjord, you will find an isolated island that is probably one of the most unique location that you have ever been to. This tour will make you feel mesmerized by its beauty and wildlife. Flatey Island is the name of the island that we are talking about. You might have heard about Flatey Island in west Iceland, but this island is located in north Iceland and not many travelers tend to visit here. If you are looking for something unique on your day in Húsavík, this place is a must-visit. So, shuffle up the itinerary and add this tour to your travel itinerary.
Explore the "Flat Island" in Iceland
Flatey is a massive island that is approximately 2.5 km long and 1.7 km wide; it translates to “Flat Island”. The highest peak is approximately 22 m above the sea level. On the island, there are a few old homes that are still maintained and kept as summerhouses. There are no permanent inhabitants, but there are some people who visit this place during summertime. For those who love birds, and wildlife this place is heaven for them. On the way towards Flatey Island, you will come across the beautiful Skjálfandi Bay, which is a natural haven for birds and is extremely rich and diverse too. Thus, many people find this place extremely attractive and the best to spend time with family and friends. You will get to know more about varied species of birds on this tour – at least 30 different species of birds during the breeding season.
About the Tour
This tour will take approximately 4-5 hours and will take you to the flat island, which is home to the arctic tern and also the bright colored puffins; a perfect opportunity to come closer to the “clown of the sea”. The journey to the island will be covered in fantastic RIB speedboat which will also be used to explore surrounding of Skjálfandi Bay. After exploring the place, we will head back towards Húsavík, sailing along the Vík mountains. Since Húsavík is the whale capital of the world, you are very likely to see the whales on your boat ride. Spectacular nature, puffins and whales in an isolated place in north Iceland. Sounds like fun!
What to bring
Head wear & Gloves
Protective bags for cameras
Good to know
- We will provide you with warm safety overalls on the tour.
- Safety is a top priority for us, and we take every possible precaution to guarantee a safe and enjoyable tour.
- All boat tours are subject to weather conditions and sightings cannot be guaranteed. We reserve the right to cancel the tour due to bad weather conditions.
- If tour is cancelled by tour operators, for example because of bad weather, you will get a full refund.
- You should be at the departure point at least 15 minutes before scheduled departure.
- The tour on RIB speedboats is not allowed for passengers with heart- or back problems or pregnant women.
- The minimum age limit for children on the RIB speedboats is 7 years or minimum 130 cm in height.
- A minimum number of 4 adults is required for the tour to Flatey Island. If the minimum number is not reached, we reserve the right to change or cancel departures, even with short notice. In such cases, customers are offered alternative options or a full refund.
- It is possible to rent a boat for a private trip. Contact us for more information.
Most frequent questions and answers
The meeting point for the tour is at Húsavík Harbor.
You should schedule to be at our departure point at least 15 minutes before scheduled departure.
If the tour gets cancelled due to weather you can choose between rescheduling the tour for another departure or receiving a full refund.
Free cancellation up to 1 day before the tour. If you cancel within 1 day notice, a 100% fee will be charged.
However, we always ask you to cancel the tour as soon as possible so we can adjust the schedule for the day depending on how many people will be joining the tour.
No, unfortunately not since this tour is operated on a RIB boat.
Yes, and you definitely should! The setting on the tour is full of amazing, scenic views.
We recommend that you bring a protection bag for your camera as it can be cold and wet out at sea.
This tour is not suitable for pregnant women because of the speed of the RIB boat.
There are plenty of free parking lots next to the meeting point of the tour.
Do you have a question?
We would love to hear from you
You might find interesting...
Hotels & Restaurants