About Husavik Puffin Tour
If this is your first time in Iceland, then be prepared for experiencing the unexpected here! Are you someone who loves to get closer to nature and exploring the wildlife? Then Husavik Puffin Tour is perfect for you! A perfect tour for nature enthusiasts and bird lovers, which is sure to bring a big smile to their faces. So, spend some time relaxing under the sun and gazing at the puffins in their natural habitat. Let’s get to know more about this tour!
Puffin Watching in Husavik – Tour Details
Small and beautiful birds with emotive watery eyes, brightly colored bills, and clumsy, wobbling walk, Puffins are known as the “clowns of the ocean”. Iceland is home to approximately 60% of the world’s Atlantic Puffin population. This makes Iceland an ideal place to watch Puffins closely and observe them in their natural habitat.
Puffins nest exactly in the same place that they are born in and, also nest when surrounded by the other puffins. In this tour to watch puffins in Husavik, you will come across the brightly colored seabirds that dominate the sky and cliffs. A sight to capture. You will be taken to Puffin Island (Lundey) on a RIB boat that will make you witness the largest puffin colonies. The fast boats are there to take you to the island, which is 4.5 nautical miles away from the Husavik harbor; it will take a few minutes to cover the distance.
The Puffin Island
The puffin island is approximately 34 m above sea level, 100 m wide, and is 200 m in length. If you visit during the breeding season, you will see thousands of puffins all around you. It will take you approximately 1 hour to complete this Puffin tour. It is advisable to wear warm layered clothing along with a shell layer to keep safe from high winds and water splashes. Ensure that you maintain a safe distance from the puffins as disturbing them may intrude with their breeding cycle.
What to bring
Head wear & Gloves
Good to know
- We will provide you with warm safety overalls on the tour.
- Safety is a top priority for us, and we take every possible precaution to guarantee a safe and enjoyable tour.
- All boat tours are subject to weather conditions and sightings cannot be guaranteed. We reserve the right to cancel the tour due to bad weather conditions.
- If tour is cancelled by tour operators, for example because of bad weather, you will get a full refund.
- You should be at the departure point at least 15 minutes before scheduled departure.
- The tour on RIB speedboats is not allowed for passengers with heart- or back problems or pregnant women.
- The minimum age limit for children on the RIB speedboats is 7 years or minimum 130 cm in height.
- Minimum number of six adults required in a standard tour.
- It is possible to rent a boat for a private trip. Contact us for more information.
Most frequent questions and answers
The meeting point for the tour is at Húsavík Harbor.
You should schedule to be at our departure point at least 15 minutes before scheduled departure.
If the tour gets cancelled due to weather you can choose between rescheduling the tour for another departure or receiving a full refund.
Yes, and you definitely should! The setting on the tour is full of amazing, scenic views.
Free cancellation up to 1 day before the tour. If you cancel within 1 day notice, a 100% fee will be charged.
However, we always ask you to cancel the tour as soon as possible so we can adjust the schedule for the day depending on how many people will be joining the tour.
No, unfortunately not since this tour is operated on a RIB boat.
This tour is not suitable for pregnant women because of the speed of the RIB boat.
There are plenty of free parking lots next to the meeting point of the tour.