About Tour - Snorkel in Silfra Fissure
Take a deep dip in the Silfra Fissure which has the world’s clearest waters and witness aquatic beauty that can be found nowhere else. Another wonder of nature found in Iceland, Silfra fissure is one of the only springs with diving-worthy waters all-year-round. Silfra fissure spring is home to many beautiful coral sites and marvels from the aquatic world. A summer drive will introduce you to the beautiful flora and glitzy, active fauna of the fissure while the winter dive is filled with neon green wonders. Combined with these natural wonders, Silfra remains at a constant temperature of 2-4°C all-year-round which means that it is ever-ready for the dive.
Informatino on the Snorkeling Tour
Silfra is located in the fissure between the Eurasia and North America tectonic plates in Thingvellir National Park. The dive in Silfra is also known as dive between two continents because it is located between the two tectonic plates – fascinating, right? The water-filled in the spring seeps from Langjökull glacier – the second largest glacier of Iceland. The water in Silfra Spring has crystal clear visibility of up to 100 meters. Slowly seeping through the porous lava rocks, Silfra Spring water is so pure that you can practically drink it. Everything about Silfra is fascinating and the more you explore, the more you will fall in love with this diving sight.
How It All Will Go Down
Thingvellir National Park will be your meeting point with the guide. Once everyone from the party has arrived, you will take a short walk through the moss-covered lava fields of the park. Your Divemaster will provide you with a brief introduction to the safety measure that is to be taken and the equipment that you will be using. Once you reach the Silfra diving site, you will be provided with all the necessary equipment from your tour guide which includes everything from thermal undersuit, neoprene hoods and gloves, a drysuit, and, to snorkeling mask and fins. The equipment is designed to keep you protected from the glacial waters. That’s it – you are now ready to dive in the depths of the earth.
The initial portion of your drive will have you come face to face with the neon and blue colored wonders along with flora canyon walls and since you will go back forth between the two tectonic plates, you will be switching between the two continents simultaneously. One of the most prominent and attractive features of this dive is this fact only. Once you swim further you will end up in Silfra Hall – the widest section of the fissure, and the regal Silfra Cathedral – the deepest section of the fissure. The dive will end with a visit to the underwater oasis of Silfra which is also known as the “Real Blue Lagoon”.
You will end your tour with a nice cup of hot chocolate and cookies with the guides and a nice friendly chat. If you are concerned about the photos then don’t worry. You will get them on your registered email after the tour. Also, be anything but skeptical about the dive because in the supervision of our wonderful trained guides who will support you throughout the dive and will make sure that you can explore the fissure the way it is meant to be.
Snorkeling Silfra Winter
Snorkeling Silfra is great during the winter time in Iceland. The temperature of the water is always the same, around 4°C. The water is cold but the warm under suit and the dry suit will keep you warm in the water. Since the temperature above ground is a bit colder during the winter time, the hot chocolate and cookies will be extra welcome. We recommend that you have your dry clothes ready after the snorkeling tour to make sure that you don’t get cold after the tour.
Certified Snorkeling Guide
Warm Undersuit and Drysuit
Free GoPro Underwater Photos
Hot drinks and cookies after the tour!
All Necessary Snorkeling Equipment
What to bring
Change of clothes (just in case)
Thick warm socks
Good to know
- This tour is operated in small groups – maximum 6 persons per guide
- Participants under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or adult guardian booked on the same tour.
To be able to do this tour, you have to be able to comply the following requirements:
- Have read, signed, and followed directions on the Snorkeling Silfra Medical Statement Form – click here. We recommend you bring the Form already printed out and signed, but you cal also can sign the Form at the meeting location.
- Be comfortable in water and be able to swim.
- Communicate in English at the time of the tour.
- Be physically fit.
- Not be pregnant.
- You must be ready to wear a tight and constricting dry suit to protect your body from the cold
- You must be a minimum of 150 cm and a maximum of 200 cm in height and weigh between 45 and 120 kilos along with being physically fit.
- You must be a maximum of 69 years of age to participate in this tour. If you are 60 years of age or over, you need a medical waiver, available on page 2 of the Medical Statement.
- You must be a minimum of 12 years of age to participate in this tour. Participants under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or adult guardian booked on the same tour
- If you are over 45 and partake/have partaken in pipe smoking or heavy alcohol intake, you need a medical waiver.
- Please note that should you have any neurological, circulatory or respiratory problems or underlying diseases, battled any illnesses or have any physical problems you might have to turn in a physicians allowance to participate in this tour.
Most frequent questions and answers
The meeting point is by our company’s van at the companies’ parking lot in Silfra. You need to park your car in parking lot P5 and walk back to the companies’ parking lot where the guides will meet you.
You can also look up Silfra Diving on Google Maps to find the exact location.
We will see you at our meeting point 20 minutes before the departure time stated on your ticket. Please note that if you arrive after departure time, your place on the tour can’t be guaranteed or refunded.
The estimated driving time from Reykjavik to Silfra is 40-50 minutes in good road conditions.
There is a parking fee of ISK 750. You can pay by cash or card. You need to display the parking ticket in the window of your car. This fee is not included in the tour price.
Our dry suits are buoyant and float on the water, however, it is mandatory that all participants know how to swim and feel comfortable in water to join the tour. You do not need to be a very strong swimmer, just to be able to swim and feel comfortable in the water.
Yes. GoPro photops are included in the price of the tour. Your guide will take photos through your tour, both outside the water and under the water and they will be sent to you via email after the tour.