Short on time and want to make the best out of your trip to the glaciers of Iceland? Think no more and join us on this enthralling snowmobiling tour of the Langjökull glacier and see for yourself why this is the alleged best place to go nuts on a power-packed super vehicle. This tour will not only introduce you to the thrills of riding a snowmobile on one of the finest and largest glaciers of Iceland but will also show you the glorious world located under the ice, take you to pay a visit to two of the most beautiful waterfalls of the country – Hraunfossar & Barnafoss and will take you to a delicious, bountiful lunch at Húsafell restaurant in Húsafell. This wholesome tour can be finished in just one day and will help you achieve the level of thrill that you are looking to experience in the land of ice and fire.
Highpoints of the Tour
- Langjökull Glacier: Your first stop will be the Langjökull glacier where you will start with your snowmobiling tour. Langjökull glacier is the longest glacier in Iceland which makes it an ideal place for an activity like snowmobiling. Langjökull glacier is the second-largest glacier in Iceland and a very popular place for on-ice activities like glacier walking, snowmobiling (as evident), and monster truck riding.
- Ice Cave of the Glacier: The ice cave of Langjökull glacier is one of its kind as it is the only man-made ice cave in Iceland and also happens to have a chapel inside. The Langjökull glacier ice cave is quite popular among tourists and locals alike for weddings along with normal visits. The cave is endowed with several beautiful ice structures, state-of-the-art feature lighting, and benches made of ice.
- Húsafell: A farm estate located near the Langjökull glacier, Húsafell is established in Borgarfjörður, near Reykholt. The farm is quiet and very peaceful, a great way to relax and have a nice tranquil lunch. There is a swimming pool, a golf course, and gorgeous lakes here that you can explore when you visit Húsafell.
- Hraunfossar & Barnafoss Waterfalls: Worth every second of your time that you spend here, these two waterfalls have water so clear and pure that it needs no treatment to be safe for drinking. Filtered through lava rocks for a long duration, the waterfall has crystal clear water which sets up the scenery for fantastic pictures.
The Proceedings of the Tour
Your tour will start from the bus terminal of the capital city of Reykjavik located at Skógarhlíð 10. Ensure that you are there at the pickup spot almost 15 minutes before the departure time so along with your ticket – a digital or a physical copy. You will find a SmartBus waiting for you at the terminal to take you to your destination. The bus is equipped with free WiFi, USB ports, lavatory services, and comfortable coaches which will make your journey very comfortable. You also have an option to book a pick-up from your accommodation in the capital city. Please, be sure to arrive at the pickup point before 30 minutes of your pickup time.
As you reach the foot of the glacier, you will board the super truck to get to the base camp where the snowmobiles are stacked. The snowmobiling will begin here and after that, you will head to the tour of the ice cave. Note that the snowmobiles can be ridden in pairs of two and 8 years is the minimum age limit to ride the snowmobiles. It is recommended to wear the right clothes according to the weather. Be sure to carry sturdy hiking boots and gloves. All equipment required for snowmobiling and ice caving like crampons, snowmobiling suit, helmet, and gloves will be provided at the base camp.
Once you are done snowmobiling and through with the ice cave tour, you will head to a beautiful small restaurant in Húsafell farm estate where you will have lunch. You will have bountiful options of salads, all you can eat pizzas, soups, and some Icelandic signature dishes here in this restaurant at Húsafell.
The tour will last for about 10-11 hours which includes a 1-hour-long expedition of the Langjökull glacier ice cave and the travel time as well. The tour is available all year round and can be booked as per convenience.
1 hour guided Ice Cave tour with necessary safety equipment
Admission to the ice cave
Exhilarating snowmobile ride and crampons for walking into the ice cave
All necessary equipment for snowmobiling (helmet, gloves, snow-suit)
Knowledgeable local guide
Waterproof one-piece suite and boots if needed. Provided by the Into the Glacier team.
What to bring
Good outdoor shoes
Gloves & Headwear
Good to know
- We recommend that you dress according to the weather of the day.
- Please show up at our Reykjavik Terminal (located at Skógarhlíð 10) 15 minutes prior to the departure time.
- We kindly ask you to be ready at your pick up point with your voucher, either in digital or printed form.
- If you have booked a hotel pickup, please be at your chosen pickup location 30 minutes before the departure of the tour. Look for the Green Smartbus™ which will be outside your accommodation at within the 30 minutes of pickup.
- There is a minimum of 2 passengers for this tour.
- The age limit for the snowmobiling part of this tour is 8 years.
- A valid driving licence is required to drive the snowmobile.
- You will be traveling in a coach that holds approximately 40-65 people, but is very spacious and comfortable. It is featured with lavatory facilities as standard. The bus offers free wifi and USB charging ports.
- Lunch is not included, but we will stop at Húsafell where you will have a chance to buy food and drinks and use the restrooms if needed. You will have a chance to eat at the Húsafell Bistro after exiting the ice cave.
Interesting locations in the area
Self Driving Activities
Restaurants & hotels
Most frequent questions and answers
If you have not booked a pick up for the tour, the meeting point is at the Reykjavik Terminal – located at Skógarhlíð 10.
If you have booked a pick up for the tour, the minibus will be at your chosen pick up location 30 minutes before the departure of th etour. Look for a green minibus.
The age limit for this tour is 8 years. Children from 8 – 16 years need to share a snowmobile with an adult.
The ice cave part of the tour is around 1 hour.
Lunch is not included, but we will stop at Húsafell where you will have a chance to buy food and drinks and use the restrooms if needed. You will have a chance to eat at the Húsafell Bistro after exiting the ice cave.
You will receive a full refund if the tour gets cancelled due to weather.
Yes, and you definitely should! The setting on the tour is full of amazing, scenic views.