The Iceland River Rafting Tour is the perfect family activity in North Iceland!
Craving a fun and thrilling adventure that is tiring enough for you to get the adrenaline rush but also safe enough for you to enjoy with your family? If yes, then this Iceland River Rafting tour is the ideal one for you to hop on and enjoy. Filled with fun, excitement and sceneries that swirl around you to deliver an unforgettable rafting adventure, this family rafting tour all the talk when it comes to enjoying an adventure sport with your friends or family. Give your young ones a taste of what experiencing thrills actually feels like and get them ready to take on new adventures from the very start while letting the seniors experience the prime of their lives once again. An all-rounder trip that is made to brighten up the day for everyone in your entourage, this white-water river rafting tour is the perfect one to take on for you for a fun family outing. So, let’s get ready to experience one of the most amazing adventures of your vacation to Iceland.
You exciting tour will begin from the rafting base, which is located in Hafgrímsstaðir on Road 752, the west end of Varmahlíð. You will have to get here on your own and meet us at the base so that we can prep you for the exciting activities that are coming up ahead. You will meet the rafting guide over here at the base who will explain what is in store for the rest of the day and help with every important information that you need to have before embarking on this amazing journey. Once all the tourists from the group are settled with necessary info, we will set out to reach our rafting site – the West Glacial River or Vestari Jokulsa. This river originates from the third largest glacier in Iceland and is a very popular rafting spot in the country accompanied by its sister – the East Glacial River. This river originates from the north-west end of the glacier Hofsjokull and head towards north. Running through quite a levelled area, it falls into the Throngagil canyon and goes through a narrow valley until it joins up with Hofsa river and after running from another valley, it joins its sister river – Austari Jokulsa or the East Glacial River.
We will use our private transport to get from the rafting base to the rafting site where your guide will help you put on the protective as well as the required gear for rafting. We supply you with rafting equipment ourselves so do not worry about finding it on your own and just dress up in appropriately warm clothing as per the weather. Once everyone is ready and your guide has explained all the safety measures and guidelines that you need to follow when rafting, we will take the rafts into the river and hop to begin this long-awaited adventure.
You will make your way through the gentle rapids, the twists and the bends of this towering gorge. Make sure that you enjoy the opportunity to sample some riverside hot cocoa from nature’s kettle provided by us on the tour while on your raft! You may even find yourself in a friendly water fight, bathing in the invigorating glacial runoff, or simply kicking back and letting your cares drift away if the water allows. Needless to say, the tour is going to be the perfect source to feed the adrenaline junkie that you hide within yourself. If you like, you can wait and enjoy your hot beverage after the rafting session while enjoying some time by the river side. As the tour comes to an end, we will change the piece of clothing that have been wetted during rafting although you should remain at least 95% dry being protected by the gear. We will transport you back to the base as soon as everyone is done changing and that is where your exciting experience will come to an end.
- All Rafting equipment: Dry suit, PFD, helmet, booties, gloves.
- Transportation between our rafting base and the river.
- Qualified, professional IRF raft guides and safety kayakers.
- Riverside refreshments.
- Ultimate Iceland River Rafting experience!
What to bring
- Thermal underwear / base layers
- Warm fleece top / wool sweater
- Fleece pants / extra long johns
- Thick wool socks / Hiking socks
- Dry clothes for after the river
- Any necessary medications (asthma inhaler, etc.)
Good to know
- You are probably going to get wet on this tour.
- River Rafting Tours in Iceland are run on glacial rivers, which means that the water we paddle in is recently melted ice. The environment and the elements we face on this tour are unpredictable but often cold and always wet. It is no fun to be cold on the tour. It is your responsibility as participants to arrive for your rafting trip with adequate warm clothing.
- We recommend that you wear fleece, wool and synthetic materials. Do not wear cotton, so no jeans and hoodies.
- This tour is a great activity for everyone. Even though we call this a family river rafting tour, it’s not just for grandpa and the little guys. This is a fun and relatively gentle trip that is suitable for everybody.
- If your idea of rafting is to hit the big waves and feed your inner adrenaline junkie, this is not where that happens. You might be interested in the White Water Rafting in Iceland tour.