Witness one of the most beautiful natural phenomena of the land of fire and ice on this fabulous tour that takes you on the hunt of the northern lights on a very private tour, catered especially for your personal needs and desires. Leave the work of finding the right spot and time for your trip and get ready to enjoy the colorful dancing lights of the land of ice and fire. The tour will take you to a remote place which is oozing with the undeniably bewitching beauty of mother nature where you can spend plenty of time basking in the glory of this gorgeous solar phenomena. So, get your cameras ready because it is time to begin the hunt for the northern lights.
About the Northern Lights
The northern lights or Aurora Borealis are a result of solar activity in the solar system. Sun emits particles that, upon entering the earth’s atmosphere, react with the gases present in it. The reaction of the particles with these gases releases photons which are visible to us as glimmering lights in the sky. The color of the northern lights completely depends on the gas with which particles from the sun reacts. For example, reacting with oxygen produces green and blue color while interaction with nitrogen produces red. The northern lights can be seen in a wide range of colors including, green, blue, red, pink, violet, orange, and even white. Green and blue are the most common of all these colors which are generally visible in Iceland.
The visibility of the northern lights primarily depends on the level of solar activity on a particular day. Other factors that may affect visibility are weather conditions and light pollution in an area. As far as solar activity is concerned, a KP3 level is more than enough to present you with a very intense display of aurora in a proper, dark place with no light pollution.
Information on the Tour
Your destination is not specified beforehand as it generally is when northern lights tours are concerned because our experts take their time to analyze the aurora activity to find you the perfect spot. You will be picked from the capital area by your tour vehicle. The pickup point can be chosen as per your convenience. We have prepared a list of plausible pickup spots that will be accessible when you book the tour. The tour vehicle will take you to the designated place for the viewing where you can set your tripods to take breathtaking pictures of the Aurora. If you are a photographic enthusiastic, you might want to check out our guide to photographing the northern lights.
- The tour will last approximately 3-4 hours which includes the travel time as well.
- The sightings of the northern lights are prone to the weather and hence not guaranteed. The location of the tour also depends on weather conditions.
- Remember to dress warmly following the proper layering method since you will spend all your time either inside the tour vehicle or outside in the open. Carrying gloves, scarves, hats, and sturdy shoes are recommended for the trip as well.
- Food and beverages are not covered in the tour fee except for the premium bottled glacial water which will be available aboard the vehicles.
- Your tour vehicle will be fully equipped with high-speed 4G Wi-Fi.
Pick up & drop off in Reykjavik or the capital area.
Private Guided northern lights hunt
Northern lights Expert that will take you to the best places to see the northern lights
4G Internet WiFi on the vehicle.
Premium Icelandic Glacial Water Bottles.
The guide will take you wherever the northern lights are most likely to show up for each night.
What to bring
Dress according to weather
Gloves & Headwear
Good to know
- You can choose a vehicle for your private tour in the booking engine. We have vehicles for up to 16 people.
- The price that will show up in the booking engine is per vehicle / group.
- We recommend that you dress in warm clothes because you will be out in the night hunting for the northern lights.
- This tour is perfect for groups. We have cars for up to 16 people.
Most frequent questions and answers
You can choose a pick up in Reykjavik or the capital area.
When booking the tour, you can choose your vehicle.
– Scoda Superb Limo; 1-3 persons
– VW Caravelle Executive; 4-7 persons
– Mercedes Benz E-Class; 1-3 persons
– Mercedes Benz V-Class; 1-5 persons
– Mercedes Benz Sprinter; 6-11 persons
– Mercedes Benz Sprinter; 12-16 persons
– Mercedes Benz S-Class; 1-2 persons
You will receive a full refund if the tour gets cancelled due to weather.
– We will charge a cancellation fee of 100% if booking is cancelled 7 days or less before event
– We will charge a cancellation fee of 50% if booking is cancelled 14 days or less before event
– We will charge a cancellation fee of 10% if booking is cancelled 30 days or less before event
Yes, and you definitely should! The setting on the tour is full of amazing, scenic views.
If you would like to know how to photograph the northern lights, we recommend that you read this article.
You will also find a tablet in the bus with information about the northern lights and how to photograph them.