- Raufarholshellir lava tunnel
Raufarhólshellir lava cave is a magnificent natural wonder located in Iceland, renowned for its impressive length and unique geological formations. It was formed by volcanic activity thousands of years ago and offers visitors the opportunity to explore a mesmerizing underground world with stunning lighting and accessibility features.
Join our standard tour and experience the Raufarhólshellir lava tunnel in a comfortable and enjoyable way. While the tunnel may present some challenging terrain with large rocks, our footbridge and multiple paths have made it accessible to most visitors. With impressive lighting, you’ll witness the tunnel’s changing colors and powerful volcanic origins.
Tours depart on the hour, every hour, and last approximately 55-60 minutes. To secure your spot at your preferred time, we recommend pre-booking your tour. Helmets and lights are provided, but we suggest dressing warmly and wearing sturdy shoes. Also, keep in mind that water may be dripping from the ceiling, so waterproof or resistant clothing is advised. And don’t forget to bring a smile along for the journey!
- Guided caving tour
- English speaking tour guide
- Flash light and helmet
Note that this tour does not include transfer to and from the cave. It is possible to book a tour from Reykjavik here.
What to bring
- Warm clothes
- Sturdy shoes
Good to know
- The minimum age for this tour is 3 year old.
- This tour is rated as easy. However, we do not recommend the tour for those who experience balance issues, difficulty walking on uneven surfaces (such as snow or rough paths), or difficulty walking up or down steep stairs.
- The tunnel is located less than 30 minutes drive (approximately 30 km) from Reykjavík and accessible by all vehicles. Driving from Reykjavík east on Route 1 and drive for about 18 km. Turn right onto Route 39 (Þorlákshöfn) and drive for another 12 km. The parking area will be on your left hand side. You can also find us on google maps. The GPS coordinates are: N.63º 56.407 / W. 021º 23.742
See Google Maps.