- Raufarholshellir lava tunnel
Raufarhólshellir lava cave is one of the most remarkable natural wonders in Iceland. Formed by volcanic activity, it is a fascinating underground world of rugged rock formations, unique colors, and intriguing textures. It is considered one of Iceland’s longest and best-known lava tunnels and offers visitors a chance to explore and learn about the country’s geological history.
Embark on our standard tour of Raufarhólshellir lava tunnel and experience this natural wonder in a comfortable and enjoyable manner. While the tunnel may present challenges with large rocks, our footbridge and multiple paths have made it accessible to all visitors. The stunning lighting throughout the tunnel showcases the impressive colors and powerful volcanic activity that formed it.
Our tour includes transportation and departs at 09:00 or 13:00 from the BSI bus terminal. Hotel/bus stop pickup is at least 30 minutes before departure and is operated by Reykjavík Excursions. Look for the bus marked “Tour Pick Up.” The tour lasts approximately three hours with 55-60 minutes inside the cave.
Helmets and lights are provided, but we suggest dressing warmly and wearing sturdy shoes. Please keep in mind that water may be dripping from the ceiling, so waterproof or resistant clothing is advised. And don’t forget to bring a smile along for the journey!
- Bus fare to and from the lava tunnels.
- Guided caving tour
- English speaking tour guide
- Flash light and helmet
What to bring
- Warm clothes
- Sturdy shoes
Good to know
- The minimum age for this tour is 3 year old.
- This tour is rated as easy. However, we do not recommend the tour for those who experience balance issues, difficulty walking on uneven surfaces (such as snow or rough paths), or difficulty walking up or down steep stairs.
- This tour includes a pick up in Reykjavik. It is also possible to book this tour as a self drive tour where you will meet the guides at Raufarholshellir lava tunnels. Check it out here.