Embark on an unforgettable adventure with our Silfra snorkeling tour in Iceland. Discover the unique experience of snorkeling between tectonic plates with a knowledgeable professional guide, and create memories that will last a lifetime.
Silfra is one of the most famous snorkeling destinations in the world, and it’s easy to see why. This natural wonder is located in Iceland’s Thingvellir National Park, and it’s the only place in the world where you can swim between two tectonic plates. The crystal-clear water, stunning underwater views, and unique geological formations make snorkeling in Silfra an unforgettable experience.
One of the first things you’ll notice when you arrive at Silfra is the color of the water. It’s a brilliant shade of blue that’s almost otherworldly. The water is so clear that you can see for over 100 meters, and the visibility is truly incredible. You’ll feel like you’re swimming in a giant aquarium, surrounded by fish and plants that seem to glow in the sunlight.
Snorkeling in Silfra is an incredible experience that’s not to be missed. The combination of crystal-clear water, stunning underwater views, and unique geological formations make this a one-of-a-kind adventure that you’ll remember for a lifetime. If you’re visiting Iceland, be sure to add snorkeling in Silfra to your itinerary!
The snorkeling itself is easy, and you don’t need to be an experienced swimmer to enjoy the experience. You’ll be wearing a dry suit, which will keep you warm and dry, and a mask and snorkel, which will allow you to breathe comfortably underwater. You’ll be guided by a professional snorkeling instructor, who will ensure that you’re safe and comfortable throughout the experience.
As you swim through the narrow fissure between the tectonic plates, you’ll be amazed by the unique rock formations that surround you. You’ll pass through different chambers, each with its own geological features, and you’ll see a variety of underwater flora and fauna. You might even catch a glimpse of a freshwater jellyfish, which is unique to this area.
At the conclusion of your tour, you will enjoy a friendly chat with the guides over a warm cup of hot chocolate and cookies. Don’t fret about the photos – they will be sent to your registered email after the tour. Rest assured, there’s no need to feel skeptical about the dive. Our highly trained guides will supervise and support you throughout the dive, ensuring that you can fully explore the fissure in its natural wonder.
Is Snorkeling in Silfra Dangerous?
Snorkeling in Silfra is not dangerous if you are in good health and are able to swim on your own. You do not need any previous snorkeling experience when snorkeling in Silfra. A professional snorkeling guide will be with you the whole time to make sure everything goes according to plan. If you have had any health problems recently, we ask you to check with your doctor before you come snorkeling in Silfra. Ask your doctor if it is okay for you to be snorkeling in the cold water of Silfra. Remember that you will be wearing a dry suit that will keep you warm.
- Certified Snorkeling Guide
- Warm Undersuit and Drysuit
- Free GoPro Underwater Photos
- Hot drinks and cookies after the tour.
- All necessary snorkeling equipment
What to bring
- Change of clothes (just in case)
- Thick warm socks
- Warm underwear
- Contact lenses if you wear glasses
Good to know
- The Snorkel Iceland Silfra tour is operated in small groups – maximum 6 persons per guide
- Participants under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or adult guardian booked on the same tour.
To be able to do this tour, you have to be able to comply the following requirements:
- Have read, signed, and followed directions on the Snorkeling Iceland Silfra Medical Statement Form. We recommend you bring the Form already printed out and signed, but you can also can sign the Form at the meeting location.
- Be comfortable in water and be able to swim.
- Communicate in English at the time of the tour.
- Be physically fit.
- Not be pregnant.
- Be ready to wear a tight and constricting dry suit to protect your body from the cold
- You must be a minimum of 150 cm and a maximum of 200 cm in height and weigh between 45 and 120 kilos along with being physically fit.
- The maximum age for this tour is 69 years. If you are 60 years of age or over, you need a medical waiver, available on page 2 of the Medical Statement.
- You must be a minimum of 12 years of age to participate in this tour. Participants under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or adult guardian booked on the same tour
- If you are over 45 and partake/have partaken in pipe smoking or heavy alcohol intake, you need a medical waiver.
- Please note that should you have any neurological, circulatory or respiratory problems or underlying diseases, battled any illnesses or have any physical problems you might have to turn in a physicians allowance to participate in this tour.
Silfra snorkeling is an incredible experience to be enjoyed in Iceland’s winter season. The water temperature remains constant throughout the year, around 4°C, and while the water is cold, you’ll stay warm in the water thanks to the toasty under suit and dry suit. As the above-ground temperature is a bit cooler during winter, the hot chocolate and cookies provided will be an extra treat. We suggest that you have warm, dry clothes ready to change into after your Snorkel Silfra tour to ensure that you don’t get chilly following your adventure.
Snorkeling in Silfra is a safe and enjoyable experience, as long as you’re in good health and capable of swimming on your own. Previous snorkeling experience is not required for this activity, as a professional guide will be with you throughout to ensure a smooth and secure experience. However, if you’ve encountered any health issues recently, we advise that you consult with your physician before embarking on this adventure to confirm whether it’s suitable for you to be snorkeling in the chilly waters of Silfra. It’s important to note that you’ll be provided with a dry suit to keep you warm throughout the excursion.
The meeting point for the Snorkel Iceland Silfra tour is by our company’s van at the companies’ parking lot in Silfra Fissure. You need to park your car in parking lot P5 and walk back to the companies’ parking lot where the guides will meet you.
You can also look up Silfra Diving on Google Maps to find the exact location.
We will see you at our meeting point 20 minutes before the departure time stated on your ticket. Please note that if you arrive after departure time, your place on the tour can’t be guaranteed or refunded.
The estimated driving time from Reykjavik to Silfra is 40-50 minutes in good road conditions.
There is a parking fee of ISK 750. You can pay by cash or card. You need to display the parking ticket in the window of your car. This fee is not included in the tour price.
Our dry suits are buoyant and float on the water, however, it is mandatory that all participants know how to swim and feel comfortable in water to join the tour. You do not need to be a very strong swimmer, just to be able to swim and feel comfortable in the water.
Yes. GoPro photops are included in the price of the tour. Your guide will take photos through your tour, both outside the water and under the water and they will be sent to you via email after the tour.