The Þórsmörk Hiking Tour is an unforgettable adventure that takes you to the land of the god of thunder, Thor, in Iceland. Located in the picturesque valley of Þórsmörk, this tour is filled with breathtaking sights, thrilling walks, and interesting facts about this unique destination. The valley is nestled between the famous Mýrdalsjökull and Tindfjallajökull glaciers, and its landscape is a stunning contrast of lush green valleys, white foamy rivers, geothermal areas, and oases surrounded by ice-laden glaciers.
What makes this hike even more special is the weather in Þórsmörk, which is calmer than other parts of South Iceland, adding a mystical appeal to the place. However, it is also one of the wettest places in the southern part of the country, so be sure to pack waterproof/windproof clothing.
The tour starts at the base camp in Hvolsvöllur, where you will gather with your group and then head to Þórsmörk in a Super Jeep. Crossing rivers on the way adds to the adventure of the journey. Driving to Þórsmörk can be challenging, and it is recommended to have an experienced guide or a large 4×4 car with river crossing experience.
The hike itself is 8-10 kilometers long and takes about 3-4 hours to complete, depending on your group’s pace. An experienced guide will accompany you throughout the hike, providing interesting facts about Þórsmörk and helping you along the way.
Þórsmörk is considered one of the best hiking locations in Iceland, and this tour is the perfect solution for those looking for an adventure trip or hike but have limited time. With its stunning landscapes, unique geological features, and the aura of Norse mythology, the Þórsmörk Hiking Tour promises to be an unforgettable experience filled with fun and adventure.
- Professional English Speaking Highlands & Mountain Guide
- Super Jeep Tour
- Guided 4 hour Hiking in the Highlands of Iceland
- Pick up and drop off in Hvolsvöllur / Hella area – other pickup location on request
- Beautiful sights and scenery
What to bring
- Good Hiking Shoes
- Warm clothing (first layer)
- Waterproof clothing (second layer)
- Day Backpack where you can put lunch, extra snacks and water.
Good to know
- There is a minimum of 4 participants for this tour. In case of fewer bookings we will give you two choices: alternative trip or 100% refund. Maximum group size is 10 people.
- Fresh packed lunch is available upon request.
- This tour is available as a private tour upon request.
- This tour doesn’t require prior experience.
- This tour is suitable for both single travelers, groups and families.
- The tour departs from Midgard Base Camp in Hvolsvöllur, south Iceland.
- If you arrive early you can go to Midgard Base Camp for a cup of coffee.
- Pick up from your accommodation in the area is also included in the tour.
- The hike in Thorsmork is around 8-10 km, or 3-4 hours. The path is uneven at times and the route takes you uphill and downhill.
- All our tours have the flexibility needed to make sure you have the best possible day depending on weather and road conditions
- Pick up available in Reykjavik for extra fee of ISK 60.000 per group.
The meeting point is at Midgard Base Camp in Hvolsvöllur in south Iceland.
Driving time from Reykjavik to Midgard Base Camp is around 1 hour and 30 minutes. If you arrive early, you can grab a coffee at the camp.
Yes, we highly recommend that you bring hiking boots on all hiking tours.
We do hike in the rain, snow, wind and any other weather conditions that nature decides to throw at us. After all, we’re going on adventures! If the weather is unsafe for any reason, the trip will be changed or postponed. You will be notified the week of your trip if there are changes due to weather.
It is recommended to have a sturdy pair of broken-in trail shoes, boots, or sneakers (depending on the tour). It is preferable to dress in layers and wear clothing that will wick away perspiration and keep you dry and comfortable. We recommend that you take a small backpack with you where you can keep extra clothes. As the weather is very unpredictable we advice people to check the weather forecast the evening before.
Here is a list that is good to have in mind when packing for an active vacation in Iceland:
- Hiking Boots – Preferably of waterproof material (Gore-Tex or alternative)
- Long sleeve shirt (thermal underwear) – Wool or synthetic
- Light wool sweater or fleece (2nd layer)
- Trousers (2nd layer) – Strong and light material that dries quickly. Wind resistant and water repelling preferable.
- Rain Jacket or an Anorak with hood – Waterproof and breathable material. Gore-Tex or equivalents are preferable.
- Rain trousers – Waterproof and breathable material
- Liner Gloves – Wool or synthetic (polypropylene / polyester)
- Socks – Wool or synthetic. One or two pairs for thermal and blister prevention
- Hat or beanie – Wool or synthetic
The hike in Thorsmork is around 8-10 km, or 3-4 hours. The path is uneven at times and the route takes you uphill and downhill.
Please contact us to get the latest information on your desired trip.
Reservations are required for guaranteed spots on all tours. Reservations help us determine the number of guides we need to ensure that our groups remain manageable and enjoyable, and they allow us to notify you of changes to the tour due to weather or anything that could disturb the tours.
We understand that you may not have a printer handy when you’re traveling so it is not necessary to have a printed copy. However, we require that you show ID matching your reservation.
It is possible to have a pick up in Reykjavik for the fee of ISK 60.000 per group.