Visit the land of the god of thunder, Thor, with us on this glorious, adventure hike of the Valley of Þórsmörk. This tour will be filled with beautiful sights, thrilling walks, and many little-known interesting facts about Þórsmörk, also known as Thorsmork. This beautiful valley is located deep in the highlands of Iceland which are popular for their incredibly beautiful and difficult to conquer the landscapes. Only 2.5 hours away from the capital city, this particular hike is the perfect solution for those tourists and locals who are looking for an adventure trip or hike but cannot spend many days on it. Þórsmörk is considered to be the best hiking location in Iceland among locals and travelers from all over the world, so you are up for a treat! The Þórsmörk hike will be a trip that is light on time but all hot and heavy when it comes to fun and adventure.
About the Location
Þórsmörk is located between the two of the most famous glaciers named Mýrdalsjökull, and Tindfjallajökull. Þórsmörk is a valley and is popularly known as the valley of Thor among both the locals and the tourists. The landscape of this place is quite suiting to the reputation Iceland holds in terms of the beauty of nature. The lush green valley with white foamy rivers, geothermal areas, oases, and beautiful flora contrasts ideally with the ice-laden glaciers around it. When speaking strictly in terms of geographical distribution, Þórsmörk is a valley surrounded by a mountain range between rivers Krossá, Þröngá, and Markarfljót rivers. But people usually add the area spread outside of the actual Þórsmörk and Eyjafjallajökull glacier volcano to the definition when they refer to Þórsmörk.
Another factor that makes this hike extra pleasant and magical is the weather. The weather of Þórsmörk is calmer than the rest of South Iceland including the capital city. This is why you would probably find a lot of mist in the valley clocking the mountains that surround it which, in turn, adds to the mystical appeal of the place. As warm as Þórsmörk is, it is also one of the wettest places in the southern part of the country so keep waterproof/windproof clothing handy.
The Tour Schedule
The tour will start at the base camp located in Dufþaksbraut 14, Hvolsvöllur. You will gather up with your group in the base camp, stop for a cup of tea or coffee if you like, and then head to the valley. Free pickup from your accommodation in the Hella area is also available as an option.
Since hiking is a full-scale activity, it is important that you pack everything that you would require on the tour. From change of socks, snacks, caps, to other small items that you may need on the hike. You will travel on a Super Jeep from the meeting point and in to Þórsmörk. We will have to cross some rivers on the way, but that makes the ride just extra special. Driving to Þórsmörk can be extremely hard and it is not recommended that you drive there on your own unless you have a large 4×4 car and experience in river crossing. The hike is 8-10 kilometers long so it will take about 3-4 hours to complete it depending on the pace that your group follows. Our experienced and well-trained guide will accompany you the whole time to help you through the hike and provide some interesting facts about Þórsmörk as well.
Professional English Speaking Highlands & Mountain Guide
Guided 4 hour Hiking in the Highlands of Iceland
Pick up and drop off in Hvolsvöllur / Hella area – other pickup location on request
Beautiful sights and scenery
What to bring
Good Hiking Shoes
Warm clothing (first layer)
Waterproof clothing (second layer)
Day Backpack where you can put lunch, extra snacks and water.
Good to know
- There is a minimum of 4 participants for this tour. In case of fewer bookings we will give you two choices: alternative trip or 100% refund. Maximum group size is 10 people.
- Fresh packed lunch is available upon request.
- This tour is available as a private tour upon request.
- This tour doesn’t require prior experience.
- This tour is suitable for both single travelers, groups and families.
- The tour departs from Midgard Base Camp in Hvolsvöllur, south Iceland.
- If you arrive early you can go to Midgard Base Camp for a cup of coffee.
- Pick up from your accommodation in the area is also included in the tour.
- The hike in Thorsmork is around 8-10 km, or 3-4 hours. The path is uneven at times and the route takes you uphill and downhill.
- All our tours have the flexibility needed to make sure you have the best possible day depending on weather and road conditions
- Pick up available in Reykjavik for extra fee of ISK 60.000 per group.
Most frequent questions and answers
The meeting point is at Midgard Base Camp in Hvolsvöllur in south Iceland.
Driving time from Reykjavik to Midgard Base Camp is around 1 hour and 30 minutes. If you arrive early, you can grab a coffee at the camp.
Yes, we highly recommend that you bring hiking boots on all hiking tours.
We do hike in the rain, snow, wind and any other weather conditions that nature decides to throw at us. After all, we’re going on adventures! If the weather is unsafe for any reason, the trip will be changed or postponed. You will be notified the week of your trip if there are changes due to weather.
It is recommended to have a sturdy pair of broken-in trail shoes, boots, or sneakers (depending on the tour). It is preferable to dress in layers and wear clothing that will wick away perspiration and keep you dry and comfortable. We recommend that you take a small backpack with you where you can keep extra clothes. As the weather is very unpredictable we advice people to check the weather forecast the evening before.
Here is a list that is good to have in mind when packing for an active vacation in Iceland:
- Hiking Boots – Preferably of waterproof material (Gore-Tex or alternative)
- Long sleeve shirt (thermal underwear) – Wool or synthetic
- Light wool sweater or fleece (2nd layer)
- Trousers (2nd layer) – Strong and light material that dries quickly. Wind resistant and water repelling preferable.
- Rain Jacket or an Anorak with hood – Waterproof and breathable material. Gore-Tex or equivalents are preferable.
- Rain trousers – Waterproof and breathable material
- Liner Gloves – Wool or synthetic (polypropylene / polyester)
- Socks – Wool or synthetic. One or two pairs for thermal and blister prevention
- Hat or beanie – Wool or synthetic
The hike in Thorsmork is around 8-10 km, or 3-4 hours. The path is uneven at times and the route takes you uphill and downhill.
Please contact us to get the latest information on your desired trip.
Reservations are required for guaranteed spots on all tours. Reservations help us determine the number of guides we need to ensure that our groups remain manageable and enjoyable, and they allow us to notify you of changes to the tour due to weather or anything that could disturb the tours.
We understand that you may not have a printer handy when you’re traveling so it is not necessary to have a printed copy. However, we require that you show ID matching your reservation.
It is possible to have a pick up in Reykjavik for the fee of ISK 60.000 per group.