Calling Iceland the land of ice and fire would not be an overstatement given its extremely active volcanoes and ice-covered glaciers which are just waiting for you to be conquered. You get to witness the extremes of the natural environment like – steaming lava fields, geysers, waterfalls and human sized icebergs. Isn’t it amazing? But there is something more beautiful on the other side to explore and that is getting close to the marine life of Iceland. If this seems to excite you – then going on the Akureyri Whale Watching Tour should be something that you just cannot afford to miss.
Experience the Unbelievable Marine Life in Eyjafjörður
If you are a true animal and marine life admirer then, there is nothing better than going aboard a high-speed boat to have a closer look at the whales in Akureyri – the ‘capital of the North’ – which incidentally also wears the crown of one of the most beautiful towns in Iceland. If you have seen pictures and videos of the larger-than-life whales that call Iceland their homes – flipping in the midst of the sea, then you can easily imagine how majestic and mesmerizing it will be to witness that same glory in person.
Zip up the wind sheeter and strap-on the hiking boots because it’s time to wet and wild folks. Join this fabulous tour to meet and greet the beautiful and majestic whales and dolphins of Iceland. The tour starts from the Akureyri’s floating pier that will directly take you to the area to witness incredible humpback whales of the Eyjafjord. The boat tour is designed in a way that it covers a larger area that eventually increases the chances of spotting whales, dolphins, seabirds and that too without disturbing them in their well-protected, natural habitat. The respect for nature is evident in the natives. There will be a tour guide to help you with any of the questions, while informing you about the area. The warmth of the sun accompanies you while the roaring of the sea seems to be soothing and calm. So, without any further ado, make your bookings and let this once in a lifetime experience begin.
What to bring
Head wear & Gloves
Good to know
- The boat has inside and outside areas to watch the whales.
- The boat is equipped with restrooms, on-board café and safety equipment.
- The boat has a specially designed, “cinema style” viewing platform on the front of the ship, ideal to view the Eyjafjord humpbacks.
- We will provide buoyant overalls, rain coats and blankets on the tour.
- Safety is a top priority for us, and we take every possible precaution to guarantee a safe and enjoyable tour.
- Crew members have gone through STCW training from the Maritime Safety and Survival Training Center and regularly attend courses in maritime safety and lifesaving.
- All whale watching tours are subject to weather conditions and sightings cannot be guaranteed. We reserve the right to cancel the tour due to bad weather conditions.
- If there are no sightings of whales or dolphins on the tour, you can rebook the tour for free in Akureyri or Reykjavik.
- You should be at the departure point at least 15 minutes before scheduled departure.
Most frequent questions and answers
The meeting point for the tour is at Akureyri Harbor.
Address: Oddeyrarbót 2, 600 Akureyri, Iceland
You should schedule to be at our departure point at least 15 minutes before scheduled departure.
If the tour gets cancelled due to weather you can choose between rescheduling the tour for another departure or receiving a full refund.
Free cancellation up to 1 day before the tour. If you cancel within 1 day notice, a 100% fee will be charged.
However, we always ask you to cancel the tour as soon as possible so we can adjust the schedule for the day depending on how many people will be joining the tour.
The boat has plenty of indoor and outdoor seating, toilets and bar/cafeteria.
We have almost 100% sightings on this tour. However, if you don’t see whales on the tour you can reschedule the tour free of charge for the next available day.
You can choose between rescheduling the tour in Akureyri or Reykjavik.
Yes, and you definitely should! The setting on the tour is full of amazing, scenic views.
This is, of course, a personal choice, we have often had pregnant women on our trips. This tour is listed as easy so if you do not feel uncomfortable on a boat, this tour should be ideal for you.
If you are unfortunate enough to miss out on them on our tour, we offer you to rebook the tour free of charge on another day of your trip. You can choose between booking the new tour in Akureyri or Reykjavik.
There are plenty of free parking lots next to the meeting point of the tour.
The boat that you will go on is the only high speed whale watching ship in Iceland. Comfortable and specially designed for the area with plenty of indoor and outdoor seating, toilets and bar/cafeteria.