The definition of luxury amidst nature, ION Adventure Hotels should be the ideal choice of accommodation when you are traveling to the southwestern part of Iceland and are looking to enjoy not just the crude beauty of nature but also some luxury hotel amenities. Located at a short distance of only 1 kilometer from the Nesjavellir geothermal power plant, the hotel is ideally positioned near the Golden Circle route to make all popular attractions from the nearby areas easily accessible to you. With award-winning amenities like the lava spa, northern lights bar, and exceptionally leisurely rooms, ION Adventure Hotels are perfect to play hard with the rugged wilderness of the land of ice and fire in the day time and come back to a warm, welcoming atmosphere in the evening. ION does not excel only in the customer service and amenities department but also keeps its carbon footprints in check which was further proven true when it was recently granted the Boutique Hotel Award in the sustainability category.
The Rooms and Amenities
There are 4 different kinds of rooms available at the hotel – each with its unique design and characteristics so that you can make an individually suited, well-informed choice. All rooms offer one view or the other out of the window along with some special organic toiletries. The following are the types of suites and rooms available at the hotel.
- Thermal Junior Suite: A single entity at the ION, this suite gets its name from the view that it presents to the occupants – Nesjavellir Geothermal Energy supplier. You can also get a good view of Mt. Hengill and the lava field across the hotel. The suit comes with a king bed, a sofa bed, a complimentary minibar, and a Nespresso coffee machine.
- Deluxe Rooms: Featuring Iceland-special floor to ceiling windows, the deluxe rooms are equipped with beautiful decor pieces as well as customizable twin or double beds and fair-trade organic linen. There is a total of 24 deluxe rooms that have bathroom incorporated with a powerful environment-friendly shower.
- Standard Rooms: Equipped with customizable bed and environment-friendly showers, all 18 rooms offer a fabulous view of Nesjavellir Geothermal Power Plant or the lava fields towards Thingvellir National Park.
- Single Sub-parterre Rooms: The hotel has 2 single Sub-parterre rooms which have an occupancy of one person. They have a modern touch to them and the furnishing complements the nature that surrounds the hotel. You will have a TV, kettle, coffee/tea making facility, and hairdryer.
- Common Amenities: Icelandic soaps, conditioner, shower gel, and shampoos from Sóley Organics, fair-trade organic linen and towels, and WIFI connection in all rooms and public areas.
Dining – Silfra Restaurant and Northern Lights Bar
The restaurant specializes in fresh seasonal food with ingredients procured from the local markets to keep up with the freshness. The food menu is combined with an exclusive range of wines, beers, spirits, and whiskeys from Iceland’s microbreweries. The restaurant decor is inspired by the extensive local menu which includes mostly wish dishes and the bar has a special arrangement to view Northern Lights.
Things to do In the Area
ION is ideally located for you to easily access the Silfra Snorkeling site which is at a distance of 27.7 kilometers. Þingvellir National Park sightings, Gullfoss & Geysir visits, and hiking, as well as snowmobiling on Langjökull, are also some of the great, easily approachable activities from the ION Adventure Hotels.
We find the ION Adventure Hotel to be one of the best luxury hotels in Iceland. The services offered as impeccable, the staff is extremely polite and go out of their way to make your stay as comfortable as possible. They even give you a reminder call when the aurora is visible for viewing from the hotel bar. The location is right next to Thingvallavatn in the Golden Circle which proves very convenient when planning your trip. The leisurely natural spa, outdoor pool, and the classic Nordic restaurants work like charm when you want to relax and relieve the fatigue from a long day of touring.