Discover the wonders of South Iceland with our Black Beach Horse Riding tour! Marvel at the stunning volcanic beach, river banks, and Ölfusá delta islands while enjoying breathtaking views. We begin the tour by transporting our horses in a trailer to Thorlákshöfn, a charming fishing town. From there, we embark on an unforgettable ride along the black lava sand beach, following the surf of the North Atlantic for several kilometers until we reach the delta where the Ölfusá river meets the sea.
As we continue on our journey, we’ll ride through shallow waters along the edge of the river delta, past grassy river banks, wetlands, and meadows. The ride will take us towards the farmland of the Ölfus area, where our farm Vellir is located. Along the way, we’ll have plenty of opportunities to experience the smooth gait of the Icelandic horse “tölt” on beautiful trails, surrounded by spectacular scenery that seems to be far from civilization. If the weather permits, we’ll enjoy views of the Hekla and Eyjafjallajökull volcanoes, as well as various sea- and wetland birds living in the Flói Bird Reserve between the ocean shore and the river.
The tour can also begin at Vellir and end at Thorlákshöfn, depending on the tides. During the ride, we’ll take a break at a scenic spot to savor a light lunch out in nature. Finally, we’ll ride past the old cemetery at Arnarbæli, along the river Gljúfurá and pastures with grazing horses, before returning to Eldhestar. Don’t miss out on this once-in-a-lifetime adventure in South Iceland!
- 4,5 – 5,5 hour riding tour with stops – approximately 23 kilometers.
- English speaking horse riding guide
- Safety equipment
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- Lunchbox (sandwich, cookies, water bottle)
- Coffee / tea / hot chocolate and home baked cake after the tour.
What to bring
- Good shoes
- Comfortable pants – riding pants not necessary
- A buff is recommended
- If you bring a camera we recommend a small waist bag as backpacks cannot be taken on horseback.
Good to know
- The minimum age for this tour is 10 years.
- Hotel pick up in Reykjavik is available. The pick up from Reykjavik stars at 8.00.
- You can choose a pick up in Hafnarfjörður, Mosfellsbær, Kópavogur and Seltjarnarnes. That pick up starts at 7.45.
- You will return in Reykjavik around 17.15.
- This tour is suitable for individuals of all ages, but it is recommended that participants have good physical fitness and the ability to mount a horse with minimal assistance.
- During our ride, we traverse various terrains, including the river delta’s water, and cover vast distances in the comfortable gait of the Icelandic horse known as “tölt” – which is about the speed of a trot.
- Children must be at least 10 years of age to participate in the tour, and those aged 14 or younger must have riding skills, meaning they should have been riding regularly for at least one year.