For the lovers of the wondrous wild, this tour of the Langjökull Glacier is all that you will need to ideally experience the glory of the longest glacier of Iceland. Designed to fit in every single wonder that there is to explore on the Langjökull glacier, this tour takes in the depths of the glacier rendering all the magical sites bare in front of your eyes, waiting to be explored and praised for their magnificence. So, join this highly technologically advanced tour of the terrific Langjökull glacier and you will find yourself atop this vast glacier staring at the never-ending stretch of ice before you know.
- Langjökull Glacier: Also known as the long glacier, Langjökull glacier is the second-largest glacier in the country. It is the most popular place for snowmobiling in the country due to its extra-long shape. It is also considered a paradise for super jeep lovers since there are long stretched of ice that offers a challenging yet beautiful landscape for the activity. It is also quite a popular destination for ‘glacier walking’ in Iceland.
- Ice Cave: Langjökull Ice Cave is the only man-made ice cave and it is every bit magnificent as it sounds. This ice cave is also known for the chapel that it has inside of it. Several weddings had been held inside this ice cave so there is some chance that you will find one going on as and when you visit. The cave is lined up with feature lighting, benches, and designated sitting areas along with beautiful ice structures. It is a truly magnificent work of art and a one-of-a-kind ice cave in the country.
- Húsafell: An estate and a farm in Borgarfjörður, not very far from Reykholt, Húsafell is quite a hub for tourists given the gorgeous swimming pool, golf course, and beautiful lakes that it houses. It is very popular among tourists who are on a self-driving tour and stopover in towns for restocking and resting.
Proceedings of the Tour
The tour starts from the capital city terminal at Skógarhlíð 10. You can either board the tour bus from the terminal or you can choose the personal pickup service form your accommodation. If you choose to go to the terminal, please make sure to arrive at the bus stop 15 minutes before your boarding time and carry your ticket in either physical or digital form. If you opt for the hotel pickup then please be sure to arrive at the pickup point 30 minutes before the boarding time.
You will arrive at the base camp in Húsafell after being picked up from the starting location. You will board an off-road vehicle suitable to be driven on the ice and get to the ice cave on the glacier. You will get waterproof one-piece suits from your tour guide so that you can safely navigate through the ice cave without getting wet. The ride up to the cave will take about 30-35 minutes while the tour of the cave itself will last for about 1 hour.
The lunch hour will follow your trip to the ice cave which will be held in the Húsafell Bistro. You will have endless choices of dishes in a buffet fashion including various salads, all you can eat pizzas, vegetable soups, and signature Icelandic meat soup.
The next stop will be the Hraunfossar & Barnafoss Waterfalls. The tour will take you to the waterfalls which posse a crystal-clear stream of water coming from Hvitá or the ‘White River’. The water gets filtered by the lava rocks in the field and hence becomes immensely pure making these waterfalls incredibly beautiful. They present a completely magical and mystical scenery no matter the season which makes them a must for the tour.
The transportation services can hold 45-60 people in the coach you will travel but the arena will be very spacious and comfortable. It is recommended to dress according to the weather for the tour but putting an extra layer or two of warm clothes won’t hurt since it may feel colder atop the glacier. Gloves, hats, and sturdy hiking boots are next to essential for a comfortable trip.
1 hour guided Ice Cave tour with necessary safety equipment
Knowledgeable local guide
Tour in a specially modified glacier vehicle on Langjökull Glacier.
Waterproof one-piece suite and boots if needed. Provided by the Into the Glacier team.
What to bring
Good outdoor shoes
Gloves & Headwear
Good to know
- We recommend that you dress according to the weather of the day.
- Please show up at our Reykjavik Terminal (located at Skógarhlíð 10) 15 minutes prior to the departure time.
- We kindly ask you to be ready at your pick up point with your voucher, either in digital or printed form.
- If you have booked a hotel pickup, please be at your chosen pickup location 30 minutes before the departure of the tour. Look for the Green Smartbus™ which will be outside your accommodation at within the 30 minutes of pickup.
- You will be traveling in a coach that holds approximately 40-65 people, but is very spacious and comfortable. It is featured with lavatory facilities as standard. The bus offers free wifi and USB charging ports.
- Lunch is not included, but we will stop at Húsafell where you will have a chance to buy food and drinks and use the restrooms if needed. You will have a chance to eat at the Húsafell Bistro after exiting the ice cave.
- This tour is perfect for single travelers, groups and families.
Interesting locations in the area
Self Driving Activities
Restaurants & hotels
Most frequent questions and answers
If you have not booked a pick up for the tour, the meeting point is at the Reykjavik Terminal – located at Skógarhlíð 10.
If you have booked a pick up for the tour, the minibus will be at your chosen pick up location 30 minutes before the departure of th etour. Look for a green minibus.
The ice cave part of the tour is around 1 hour.
Lunch is not included, but we will stop at Húsafell where you will have a chance to buy food and drinks and use the restrooms if needed. You will have a chance to eat at the Húsafell Bistro after exiting the ice cave.
You will receive a full refund if the tour gets cancelled due to weather.
Yes, and you definitely should! The setting on the tour is full of amazing, scenic views.