Join one of the best day tours from Reykjavik. The beautiful south coast with its waterfalls, black sand beach, volcanoes and glaciers!
This sightseeing tour to the south coast of Iceland has been chosen one of the top tours from Reykjavik, available all year. On the tour you will experience the beauty of Seljalandsfoss and Skogafoss waterfalls, climb to the peak of one of the best glaciers in Iceland, and visit Reynisfjara black sand beach. Join this South Coast tour to see the most popular sights in south Iceland, and you’ll make memories for a lifetime. A certified glacier guide will take you on the glacier hiking part of the tour as you will hike along Solheimajokull glacier for amazing views over the south coast.
This tour is just as popular during the summer and winter season so get ready for a magical day.
The tour starts in the morning at 8am when we will pick you up at your hotel or at a nearby pick up point. This will be a long day full of adventures. We will head on to the south coast of Iceland where we will find some of the top attractions in Iceland.
Seljalandsfoss is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Iceland and for a good reason. We will start the day by visiting this waterfall and seeing it from the front, but we will also take a short hike around the fall to see it from behind. It is simply a magical experience and a unique photo opportunity. The waterfall is 196 feet (60m) tall and beautiful from all angles. There are chances that you may encounter occasional water spouting when walking behind the waterfall so we recommend that you bring waterproof clothes.
We will soon arrive at Sólheimajökull glacier, traveling onwards through the majestic scenery of South Iceland. Glacier hiking is a wonderful sport that should be on every travelers bucket list, as they explore this beautiful country. Solheimajokull is one of the best places in Iceland to do glacier hiking. Once we reach there, a certified glacier guide will accompany you. To travel around the snow-covered areas, you need to get all geared up and fully acquainted with the safety guidelines. The guide will help you with all the details. As we explore and make our way across the glacier, you will hear the ancient crackling sounds of the ice all through the way. The glacier hike is a great add on to your south coast adventure and will make the day extra memorable.
Reynisfjara black sand beach
Our next stop is Reynisfjara, the world-famous, iconic black sand beach. The beach is loved by the everyone that visits. It is one of the most beautiful beaches in the country because of the majestic basalt columns just off the shore, roaring waves of the Atlantic ocean, and unusual black volcanic sand. According to a local legend, the basalt columns in the ocean were once trolls pulling ships to the shore. As soon as the sun came up, they transformed into these magnificent rock formations. Taking along a camera is highly recommended as the scenery here is remarkably picturesque.
The next chosen place is one of the tallest waterfalls in Iceland – Skógafoss. A trail of 527 steps leads up to the tassel of the waterfall, giving you a front-row view of the South Coast lowland below. Just as another legend goes, the first Viking settler, Þrasi Þórólfsson, buried a treasure chest in the cave near Skógafoss. You can walk up the stairs to see the waterfall from above, but you can also walk almost all the way up to the waterfall below and feel the power of nature. After exploring the waterfall, we will head back to Reykjavik.
- Pick up and drop off in Reykjavik or the capital area.
- English speaking professional guide.
- Glacier Hike on Solheimajokull glacier
- Certified glacier guide
- Glacier equipment; helmet, harness, crampons and ice axe.
- Guided tour to all the highlights
- Small groups
- Wi-Fi and Icelandic music on board the minibus
What to bring
- Dress according to weather
- Waterproof outdoor clothing
- Warm clothes
- Warm socks
- Gloves & Headwear
- Hiking boots
- Water bottle
- Camera (optional)
Good to know
- Order or availability of attractions may change due to road or weather conditions.
- This tour includes a pick up from Reykjavik. You can see the designated pick up locations in the drop down menu when booking.
- Pick up is from designated locations in Reykjavík on a drop-down menu at the time of booking. Pick up is not available from Keflavik airport or outside of the greater capital area.
- It is recommended to bring some snacks and drinks for the day time adventures. Some light chips and soda should do the trick.
- This tour is perfect for groups, single travelers and families.
- You will be traveling on a minibus on this tour. The minibus includes free Wi-Fi.
- We recommend you wear proper warm clothing, gloves, hat, scarves, and hiking shoes.
- If you don’t have hiking shoes, you can rent them at the time of booking.
- In the rare case that we need to cancel the tour because of extreme weather, road conditions or other factors, we will assist you with rebooking to another date. If that does not work out for you, you will receive a full refund for the tour.