Explore the Best of Iceland on this Iceland 6 days Ring Road Tour!
- Reynisfjara black sand beach
- Skaftafell Nature Reserve
- Vatnajökull Glacier
- Jökulsárlón boat tour
- Horseback Riding
- Lagarfljót Lake
- Lake Myvatn
Get ready for six days of a magical journey into each part of Iceland. This 6 Day Iceland Ring Road Tour is a summer tour operated in a minibus for a personalized and intimate experience. You will we traveling around Iceland, or the Ring Road of Iceland, in a small group. On this tour we will explore all the best attractions around Iceland and you have the opportunity to indulge in several activities like ice caves, nature baths, whale watching, sailing between glaciers, horseback riding, and much more.
The 6-Day Iceland Ring Road Tour is perfect for exploring the most iconic destinations in Iceland. We will make sure that you get the most out of your trip to Iceland on this 6-Day excursion.
This 6-Day tour will take you to the Golden Circle where you will explore all the must see attractions and the amazing sites on this popular route. We will of course stop at Gullfoss waterfall, Geysir geothermal area and the UNESCO World Heritage Site, Thingvellir National Park.
After visiting the Golden Circle, we will head on to the magical and infamous South Coast of Iceland. The South Coast is often talked about as the most beautiful part of Iceland. We will explore the beautiful waterfalls of the South Coast as well as the black sand beaches, a natural ice cave, glacier lagoons and the diamond beach.
East Iceland is a less visited part of the country, but its stunning landscape will not disappoint you. Visit nature baths and explore the fjords of East Iceland.
In North Iceland we will visit the magical Mývatn area. You can find so many great attractions in this area, including lava fields, geothermal areas, massive waterfalls, fishing villages and much more. We will also do a whale watching tour that is included in this tour.
After 6 full days of exploring Iceland, you will get back to Reykjavik with endless of memories from our magnificent country!
Day 1 – The Golden Circle
The tour will begin on the first day with an exploration of the popular Golden Circle. Thingvellir National Park will be the first stop. The vast historic and scenic landmark has become the signature of Icelandic beauty, history, and culture. It also has Silfra Fissure, known to be an elegant fissure between two continental tectonic plates (North American and European). A combination of these reasons deems it as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
You will hike in the area and explore it to learn more about various historically relevant locations. It has a wide range of flora and fauna species waiting for you to explore. More importantly, you will learn about the sites where the Viking Chieftains used to conduct meetings or provide an announcement. Thingvellir National Park is a perfect location to start.
After your hike at Thingvellir, you will move towards Geysir geothermal area. It is another iconic stop in the Golden Circle route. First, you will explore ‘Geysir.’ It is a water geyser, which shoots a jet of powerful streams of water. The second stop, Strokkur, is a hot spring hub with a similar jet of water as Geysir that can rise to 20 meters high. Strokkur erupts every 5-10 minutes so you will 100% see it on this tour!
The Gullfoss waterfall will be the final stop for the day that will mark the end of the Golden Circle tour. It is a massive 32 meters tall waterfall that borrows water from Hvita, a glacial river. Gullfoss means ‘Golden Waterfall,’ and the name suits the pristine beauty it will deliver. Gullfos sis one of the most beautiful waterfalls in Iceland.
Day 2 – The South Coast
Seljalandsfoss waterfall, Skógafoss waterfall, Reynisfjara Black Sand Beach of Reynisfjara, Dyrhólaey and Vík. You can add Katla Ice Cave to your tour and go with a Super Jeep up to Myrdalsjokull glacier where you will find the natural ice cave in magnificent surroundings.
The next day will be packed with adventure, but a little more on the rejuvenating side as you will witness the natural power of Iceland and harmonize with it. You will visit some of the most popular waterfalls in the world. Seljalandsfoss has a 65 meter (200 feet) drop. The waterfall is best known for its unique feature that you can walk behind it. It is a perfect location for you to capture some pictures and enjoy the power-packed fall of the water.
We will also stop at another breathtaking waterfall, Skógafoss. Skógafoss is one of the largest falls in all of Iceland and a must visit for every traveler that comes to Iceland. You can explore Skógafoss by walking very close to the fall. You can get so close to the waterfall that you will feel the water. We recommend bringing waterproof clothing because you will get wet when walking so close to the waterfall. You can also walk up the stairs next to the waterfall to see it from above. The panoramic view of the area is breathtaking.
After visiting the waterfalls, we will keep on going to the famous black sand beach.
Reynisfjara black sand beach is the next stop where you will come across rocky mountains and black basalt rock columns. It has been voted the most beautiful non-tropical coastal location in the world. Beware not to jump into the water as it can very dangerous. You can also see Dyrholaey and Renisdrangar from the beach, which will bring you a stunning backdrop of cliffs. You might get to watch various exotic birds like puffins and razorbills.
On this day you can also join the Katla Ice Cave Tour. This activity is not included in the package but is available as an extra. If you join the tour, you will be going on a Super Jeep from Vík village up to Mýrdalsjökull Glacier. There you will find the natural Katla Ice Cave in magnificent surroundings. This will make your day extraordinary!
After the full day of a relaxing tour, you will head towards Vik, the coastal town. Your accommodation awaits you in Vík.
Optional extra on this day: Katla Ice Cave Tour
Day 3 – Glacier Hike, Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon & Diamond Beach
This day will definitely be one of your best days in Iceland!
Your guide will be taking you to the glacier area of Iceland but on the way the guide will make some surprise stops chosen by the guide. The stops will depend on the weather and the group’s interests.
On this day you will participate in one of the best activities in Iceland – Glacier Hiking! Your guide will introduce you to a professional glacier guide who will take you to the top of the glacier. You will get crampons, ice axes and other glacier equipment before you head on up to the glacier. You can expect a lot of fun and magnificent views from the glacier. You will be surrounded by the largest glacier in Europe, Vatnajökull. It is simply magical to explore the glacier so close. It feels like another world when on the ice. Explore the crevasses, moulins and other natural phenomena.
After the glacier hike your guide will take you to Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon. The location is known for gigantic housing icebergs that you can witness shifting and traveling along the lagoon. You will get to follow their path to the Diamond Beach, the second stop of the tour.
There, you can witness another natural beauty of Iceland on the black sandy beaches where shards or smaller pieces of Icebergs have distributed and fallen across the beach, giving an impression of a beach full of diamonds.
After exploring the glacier lagoon and the diamond beach you have a chance to go on a Boat Ride on Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon to experience the floating icebergs even closer!
The locations on this day are often considered to be the top attractions in Iceland.
Once you’re done admiring the sights, you will spend the night in the South East Area in an accommodation.
Optional activities on this day: Boat tour on Jökulsárlón glacier lagoon
Day 4 – The East Fjords
The fourth day will target the fjords in the Eastern region of Iceland. You will have a captivating scenery of mountain ridges and Vatnajokull in the backdrops. The East Fjords are perfect for tracking down some authentic wildlife such as Reindeers. You will also get to see mountain sheep and other similar creatures.
Along the way you will visit fishing villages and have an opportunity to meddle with the local folks in the area and learn more about the ancient fishing culture of Iceland.
You can also add a Horseback Riding tour to this day as an extra activity.
After that, you will explore Hallormsstadaskogur forest, known for being the most prominent forest with waterfalls, moors, and much more to offer. Hallormsstadaskogur lays alongside Lake Lagarfljot. The lake is known for mythological folklore about worm-like creatures that live in the lake. Even if you might not get to see it, there is a beautiful town in East Iceland awaiting you to spend the night.
Optional Extra on this day: Horseback Riding.
Day 5 –The Mývatn Area & Dettifoss waterfall
The fifth day will be dedicated to the Lake Myvatn area and Dettifoss waterfall.
The first stop of the day will be Dettifoss waterfall, the most powerful waterfall in Europe. The spray of this gigantic natural feature can be seen far before you reach the waterfall itself. The waterfall is 100 meters wide and 44 meters high. The waterfall drops into Jökulsargljufur canyon.
The next destination of this day will be Myvatn area. The area is known for its energetic geothermal activity. You see why when you visit Námaskarð area where these forces rise to the surface through steaming mud puddles and fumaroles, and other unique geological wonders.
You can add an extra visit to the geothermal baths for this day. Bask in the geothermal power of the surrounding area and enjoy the magnificent views form the nature baths.
After exploring the area of Myvatn we will head on to the capital of the North, Akureyri. On the way we will visit Goðafoss waterfall, one of the main attractions of North Iceland. We will also visit Asbyrgi, the horseshoe-shaped canyon and the fishing village Húsavík. Húsavík is the hometown of the Movie Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga.
The entire day is full of sceneries and sites you might have seen in popular movies and TV shows. You will stay over at Akureyri for the night.
Day 6 – North Iceland
The morning of the 6th day marks the last day of your tour. We will start they day with exploring the town of Akureyri. A short drive from Akureyri we will be joining a whale watching tour in Hauganes. Whale watching will take you to see various exotic birds and different whales like Humpback whales. It is a perfect end to the tour of Iceland.
The small town of Hauganes has many things to offer and we recommend that you take a walk around the charming harbor, small town and beautiful black sand beach with great views over the ocean and surrounding mountains.
After the exploration, you will return to Reykjavik.
Activities on The Tour
If you seek to enhance the experience and turn it into an authentic one-of-a-kind tour, it would be ideal to opt for these add-ons and activities available in Iceland. You will have plenty of time for these activities each day as the tour’s Itinerary is flexible enough to allow you for these. However, some of these activities are not included in the tour package, but you can add them as an extra when booking the tour.
1. Katla Ice Cave
Another mesmerizing experience awaits you for the second-day tour with Katla Ice Cave Tour. It is a visually stunning cave with a mix of ice and dragon glass due to the volcanic regions of the area. If you wish to add highlights of the tour, it is among the most spellbinding tours you can take on the second day.
2. Skaftafell Glacier Hiking
The Glacier Hiking is included in the tour package. On this activity you will be hiking the largest glacier in Europe, Vatnajokull glacier. It is truly an amazing experience to explore the glacier up close and get magnificent views of the surrounding area.
3. Boat Ride Tour On Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon
If you genuinely want to have a ‘fairy tale’ like experience in the glaciers, a boat ride would be ideal. It will take you closer to the embrace of nature in the Glacier Lagoon for the third day of the tour. It is truly a one-of-a-kind sensation.
4. Horseback Riding In the East Fjords
Horseback Riding on the Icelandic Horse is truly a unique experience. This activity is available on the fourth day of your tour when you are traveling across the Eastfjords. It will amplify your experience, and you will feel like you belong to these Icelandic territories.
5. Whale Watching
Whale watching is included in the tour. If you’re in Iceland, Whale Watching is a must-do activity. It won’t take too long, and you won’t regret witnessing the majestic creatures in their natural habitat. With a high success rate, you’re assured of getting a charming treat for the perfect end to your tour.
- Pick up and drop off in Reykjavik or the capital area.
- 5 nights accommodation in comfortable country hotels with breakfast and private bathroom.
- 6 Days Guided sightseeing to all the best locations around the Ring Road of Iceland.
- English speaking professional guide.
- Glacier Hike in Skaftafell
- Certified glacier guide
- Glacier equipment; helmet, harness, crampons and ice axe.
- Whale Watching tour
- Small groups
- Wi-Fi and Icelandic music on board the minibus
- Boat ride on Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon
- Katla Ice Cave Tour – Super Jeep Tour
- Horseback Riding Tour
- Geothermal hot spring admission
- Reynisfjara black sand beach
- Skaftafell Nature Reserve
- Vatnajökull Glacier
- Jökulsárlón boat tour
- Horseback Riding
- Lagarfljót Lake
- Lake Myvatn
What to bring
- Dress according to weather
- Waterproof outdoor clothing
- Warm clothes
- Warm socks
- Gloves & Headwear
- Hiking boots (available for rent when booking)
- Swimsuit and towel
- Camera (optional)
Good to know
- Order or availability of attractions may change due to road or weather conditions.
- The luggage limit for this tour is one suitcase of 24 inches per person. If you have any extra luggage, you can store it in our office for 1,000 ISK. You can add it to your booking in the booking engine.
- If you are traveling on your own, you will receive a single room. Reservations for 2 people will be allocated a double room. For bookings of 3 or more, triple rooms will automatically be allocated. If these arrangements do not meet your requirements, please contact us.
- Remember to choose the Single Supplement Fee in the booking engine if you are traveling alone.
- This tour includes a pick up from Reykjavik. You can see the designated pick up locations in the drop down menu when booking.
- You will have plenty of chances for bathroom breaks and to buy snacks on the way.
- Age limit for Glacier Hike is 8 years old.
- Pick up is from designated locations in Reykjavík on a drop-down menu at the time of booking. Pick up is not available from Keflavik airport or outside of the greater capital area.
- The Ice cave that will be visited on this tour is 100% natural and always changing. Since the ice caves are ever changing we will visit new ice caves each year in different areas of the glacier. The photos that you see on our website are from recent tours, but note that the ice caves might have changed due to the dynamic nature of these formations.
- Lunch & dinner is not included in the tour. We will stop on restaurants where you can buy lunch & dinner.
- It is recommended to bring some snacks and drinks for the day time adventures. Some light chips and soda should do the trick.
- This tour is perfect for groups, single travelers and families.
- You will be traveling on a minibus on this tour. The minibus includes free Wi-Fi. We will introduce you to Icelandic music aboard the minibus.
- We recommend you wear proper warm clothing, gloves, hat, scarves, and hiking shoes.
- If you don’t have hiking shoes, you can rent them at the time of booking.
- In the rare case that we need to cancel the tour because of extreme weather, road conditions or other factors, we will assist you with rebooking to another date. If that does not work out for you, you will receive a full refund for the tour.
- The minimum age bar to join the tour is 8 years for the hiking and ice caving part. If children below 8 years are on the trip then one adult will have to stay with them while the group completes these activities.