About Tour - Geldingadalur Volcano Tour
Join us on our tour departing from Reykjavík, Iceland, as we transport you straight to the Meradalir volcano region in Geldingalur valley. Witness the wondrous spectacle of new land formation right before your eyes, as the Meradalir erupted for most of August 2022 and has now settled down. Despite the absence of flowing lava, this area remains a captivating sight to behold.
Experience the thrill of visiting the volcano with our afternoon or evening departure options that take you directly to the heart of the action. Our downtown pickup service is fast and efficient, ensuring that you waste no time getting started. As we drive out of the capital area, prepare to be amazed by the stunning, otherworldly landscape of the Reykjanes peninsula.
Seltún hot springs
Our journey begins with a visit to Seltún, a unique destination that showcases the transformative power of geothermal waters on an environment. Here, you can stroll along winding wooden paths that meander between bubbling and hissing mud pools and streams of natural hot water flowing over colorful ground and rocks. The air is heavy with the distinctive smell of sulphur that emanates from the hot-springs. These hot-springs dissolve minerals like sulphur from the rocks and soil beneath the surface, leading to this pungent odor. You can take in a 360-degree panoramic view of the area from two viewing platforms that overhang the site.
Meradalur Volcanic Eruption
Embark on an unforgettable hiking adventure as we traverse the trail that encircles the lava field remnants of the 2021 Fagradalsfjall eruption. Depending on the conditions, the hike can take up to 2 hours each way and cover up to 14 km in total. The eruption lasted for only 2.5 weeks, a fraction of the 6-month eruption that occurred at Fagradalsfjall in 2021.
This awe-inspiring eruption has dramatically altered the landscape of the Meradalir valley. The surrounding hills are tall and sturdy, ensuring that it is perfectly safe to explore the area. In fact, the hills provide a picturesque viewpoint and picnic area that will take your breath away.
- Experienced Volcano Guide
- Wi-Fi on board the bus
- Hike to Fagradalsfjall & Meradalir Volcanoes
What to bring
- Warm clothes
- Waterproof outdoor clothing
- Hiking boots
- Water & snacks
- Hat & gloves
Good to know
- The difficulty of the hike is moderate.
- The hike can take up to 2 hours each way.
- Volcanoes are a natural phenomenon and the level of volcanic activity at the site varies daily. Even if the volcano is not erupting during your visit, visiting the area is still fascinating.
- The duration of the tour is approx. 7 hours.
- There is no food included on this tour so we recommend you bring a packed dinner/snacks and water.
- Wear hiking shoes, a waterproof jacket and warm clothes
- Cancellation fee of 100% if cancelled 1 day or less before departure