Embark on our Scuba Diving Silfra Tour and plunge into the world’s most extraordinary aquatic wonder. Explore Silfra, a mesmerizing crack in the Earth formed by the shifting North American and Eurasian tectonic plates. Immerse yourself in the unparalleled clarity of glacial water, revealing over 100 meters of captivating underwater visibility. This otherworldly experience, shaped by filtered water flowing through ancient lava rocks, unveils a unique underwater panorama found nowhere else on our planet.
This is a meet on location tour, but it is also possible to book it with a pick up from Reykjavik.
Timeline of the tour
- If you have chosen a tour with pick-up, meet your driver at the designated location in Reykjavik.
- Arrive at the Silfra meeting point 15 minutes before the tour start time and check-in with the guides.
- Group division: Each guide will lead a group of 3 people.
- Receive a comprehensive briefing and gear up with your assigned guide (approximately 1 hour).
- Once fully dressed, your guide will obtain a number from the park ranger, which will be your group’s identifier for entering the water.
- Proceed to the entry platform and await your turn (wait time may vary).
- Have your weight checked before entering the water.
- Spend around 30-45 minutes exploring the underwater wonders.
- Exit the water via the platform and return to the meeting point by walking approximately 250 meters.
- Remove your equipment and savor hot chocolate and cookies to warm up.
- Utilize this time to converse with your guide, address any queries, and view the photos captured during the tour.
How to get to your Scuba Dive Silfra Tour?
This tour is a meet on location tour, which means that you will meet us at the Silfra meeting point.
It is also possible to join us on the Silfra Diving Tour from Reykjavik. On that tour, we provide convenient pick-up service from your Reykjavík accommodation, allowing you to relax and enjoy the one-hour scenic drive to Thingvellir National Park. En route, our knowledgeable guide will share captivating insights into the geological wonders of Silfra and the rich cultural history of the surrounding area.
Scuba Diving tectonic plates in Iceland
Experience the Silfra Diving Tour, featuring an exhilarating dive lasting approximately 30-40 minutes, reaching a maximum depth of 18 meters. Upon arrival at the Silfra Meeting Point, your guide will provide a comprehensive briefing about the dive site and assist you in preparing the dive equipment. Rest assured, we utilize top-notch SCUBA gear from reputable brands like BARE, Aqualung, APEX, and Aqualung regulators for your utmost safety and comfort.
Please note that all participants joining this extraordinary adventure must possess either dry suit diving certification or have logged a minimum of 10 dry suit dives within the past two years. Confirmation of this prerequisite must be supported by written proof from a certified diving instructor.
Prepare yourself for an unforgettable moment as you dive into the untainted and translucent waters of Silfra. Delicately filtered for countless years by Iceland’s volcanic basaltic rock, this remarkable body of water offers an unparalleled purity that even allows for a refreshing sip during your dive. Discover an oasis of pristine clarity where you’ll encounter some of the purest drinking water imaginable.
The four main parts when Scuba Diving in Silfra
Embark on an extraordinary journey through the various sections of Silfra during your scuba diving adventure. Begin by floating through the narrowest part known as Big Crack, where you can capture an iconic ‘Dive Between the Continents’ photo. As you continue, Silfra Hall awaits, offering a chance to spot local ducks and geese paddling above you in this widening fissure.
Next, venture into the awe-inspiring Silfra Cathedral, the deepest point of our remarkable diving tour. Marvel at the mesmerizing ‘chandelier effects’ created by rising bubbles from other divers, if present. Finally, conclude your dive in the serene expanse of Silfra Lagoon, where endless visibility surrounds you.
After the dive, we’ll return along a 250-meter path with our dive gear before indulging in hot chocolate and cookies to warm our hands and spirits. If you require assistance with your gear on the way back, kindly inform your guide.
For friends or family members who are not certified divers but wish to experience Silfra, they are welcome to join our Snorkeling Silfra Day Tour.
Please note that each guide in Silfra accompanies a maximum of three divers. In the event that three couples are diving together (with two guides), one couple may need to be split up, regrettably not being able to enjoy Silfra together. Please consider this before making your booking.
Enhance your Silfra Diving Tour experience by reserving Extras & Souvenirs in advance! Discover a range of captivating Souvenirs available for purchase during the booking process under the “Extras” section. If you don’t find the specific Souvenir you desire, simply reach out to us or leave a message in the comment box while making your booking, and we’ll make sure to bring it along on your Silfra Diving Tour.
Additionally, consider adding the Silfra Tectonic Specialty Course to your Silfra Diving Tour by selecting it from the “Extras” options. Expand your knowledge and diving skills with this exciting specialty course.
- 1 guided dive between the tectonic plates in Iceland.
- Dive instructor
- All necessary dive equipment
- Entrance fee into Silfra
- Hot chocolate and cookies after the dive
What to bring
- Your Scuba dive certification card (PADI Open Diver Water or equivalent)
- Proof of dry suit dive certification or 10 logged dry suit dives within two years of tour date
- Long underwear
- Thick socks
- Suitable clothes for the weather of the day
Good to know
- This tour is operated all year. The temperature of the water is the same all year round.
- The temperature of the water is approximately 4°C.
- There is a maximum of 3 divers per 1 diver guide.
- You can also book this as a private tour. Please contact us for more booking.
- Enhance your Silfra Diving Tour experience by reserving Extras & Souvenirs in advance! Discover a range of captivating Souvenirs available for purchase during the booking process under the “Extras” section.
- Additionally, consider adding the Silfra Tectonic Specialty Course to your Silfra Diving Tour by selecting it from the “Extras” options. Expand your knowledge and diving skills with this exciting specialty course.
- be a certified diver at the level of PADI Open Water Diver or equivalent
- Have dry suit diving certification OR have at least 10 logged dry suit dives within two years of the Silfra tour date and be able to provide written proof from a diving instructor of these dry suit dives PDF
- have read, signed, and followed directions on the online Diving Silfra Medical Statement (link provided in confirmation email) PDF
- have our Diving Medical form signed off by a doctor if they are age 60 or older PDF
- sign our liability release form at the start of the Silfra dive tour PDF
- be at minimum 150cm / maximum 200cm
- be at minimum 45kg / maximum 120kg
- fit within our dry suit size chart PDF
- be at least 17 years of age (signature of legal guardian required for under 18 year old participants)
- be physically fit
- be able to communicate in English
- be ready to wear a sometimes tight & constricting dry suit
- not be pregnant
Our experienced dive guides typically carry an underwater camera during dives in Silfra and other dive sites, aiming to capture memorable underwater photographs. However, safety is always the top priority, and there are situations where the dive guide may choose not to divert attention from ensuring dive safety. This may occur during challenging conditions or when diving with less experienced individuals, resulting in fewer or no photos being taken. We kindly request your understanding in such circumstances.
Usually, the dive tour photos are available for purchase after the dive. For more information, please visit our Souvenir page.
The duration of each Silfra dive typically ranges from 30 to 45 minutes, taking into account factors such as air consumption, diver proficiency, and customer comfort.
The duration of the Silfra Diving Day Tour can vary depending on the number of participants and their diving experience. While we cannot provide an exact time, the tour typically lasts around three hours at Silfra, including one dive. If you plan on doing two dives, please allocate a maximum of five hours for the Diving Silfra Tour. If you utilize our transportation service, the estimated total time for your Silfra Diving Day Tour, from pick-up to drop-off, is a maximum of five hours, encompassing one dive.
For the safety and well-being of all participants, every diver joining our Silfra Diving Day Tour is required to complete the Diving Silfra Medical Statement. This form includes a comprehensive list of the difficulties and risks associated with the Silfra dives on the left-hand side, and a medical questionnaire on the right-hand side. By filling out the medical questionnaire, participants confirm their fitness and good health to participate in the Silfra Diving Day Tour. This process ensures that all divers can enjoy a dive tour that is both safe and enjoyable.
Certainly! You are more than welcome to bring your own dive equipment to Iceland. It is important to ensure that your gear is properly serviced and suitable for cold water diving. We typically use DIN cylinders as a standard, but if you require a different setup for your dive equipment, kindly inform us in advance, and we will make every effort to accommodate your request.
Please be aware that we do not offer any discounts on self-provided equipment, and Dive.is does not assume any responsibility for the equipment you bring on the tour.
Certainly! You are welcome to capture your own photos or videos during the tour. However, we kindly request that you secure your equipment to your body, such as with a wrist band, to ensure its safety. We do not recommend using a waterproof case for your phone as operating it with gloves can be challenging. It is essential to carefully review the instructions provided with your photography equipment regarding its depth and cold water limitations, and we strongly urge you to adhere to them diligently. Please note that we do not assume any responsibility for any lost or damaged photography gear that may occur during the tour.
If you hold a PADI or SSI certification, we can often search for your information online. Prior to the tour, we will require your full name (including middle name) and birth date, as they appear on your certification card. It’s important to note that both PADI and SSI occasionally experience website or data input issues, which may result in your records not being accessible. Unfortunately, we are unable to look up certifications from other organizations. In either case, if we cannot find your certification, you will not be able to participate in the tour. Therefore, it is recommended to always carry your dive cards or opt for PADI e-cards, which can be stored on a mobile app. If you have recently been certified, the temporary card emailed to you by your instructor will serve as acceptable proof.
To dive in Silfra you need dry suit certification OR a minimum of 10 logged dry suit dives within the last two years. You don’t need to meet both of these requirements, one is sufficient.
There is no definitive “best” or “worst” time to dive Silfra as each season and weather condition presents its unique advantages. Winter days with calm and overcast weather offer breathtaking reflections on Silfra’s water surface. On the other hand, windy summer days with waves create mesmerizing sun ripples on the Silfra bottom, leaving an unforgettable sight. During summer, there tend to be more snorkelers and divers at Silfra, making winter a quieter season. However, it’s important to note that winter surface conditions can be more challenging due to weather and cold temperatures.