If you are in search of a hike that will take the concept of thrill and adrenaline rush to a whole other level then this Fimmvorduhals Hike is exactly what you need to get one on one with excitement. A small, single-day-hike, Fimmvorduhals Hike is one of the most popular hikes in Iceland among both tourists and locals alike, and for all good reasons too. A hike between two volcanoes, Fimmvorduhals is known for its short but very difficult to conquer pathway, the unbelievable sights that await you, and the radiating thrill is just some of the many exquisite things that you will get to experience up on the trail. So, pack your backpacks and get set to cover the length of this one-day hike with us.
The trail or route that passes in the middle of the famous Eyjafjallajökull and Mýrdalsjökull glacier volcanoes is known as the Fimmvorduhals. It covers the area that lies between Thorsmork and Skogar and is one of the most hiked trails in Iceland. Many people complete this hike as an extension of the Laugavegur hike which ends at Thorsmork – a village named after the Norse god of thunder, Thor. Although, there are some hikers on the trail of Laugavegur who chose not to travel on the Fimmvorduhals because it is much more challenging than the prior one that they have just finished. This makes Fimmvorduhals a popular but challenging and slightly less traveled route in comparison to the Laugavegur route rendering it all the more exciting and mystical.
The first stop on the trail will be Skogafoss waterfall and Skóga river. Starting from there, the trail will lead you to Fimmvorduhals mountain hut. The hut has resting and camping areas along with some snacking options available for the travelers. You can rest, have a snack, and share some stories with fellow tourists in the hut. After the hut, the path continues and reaches in the middle of the two volcanoes – Eyjafjallajökull and Mýrdalsjökull – which is the most difficult but evidently the most unique part of the trail. The last part of the hike will take you to the final destination – Thorsmork through Goðaland.
Information on the Tour
Form countless beautiful rivers to deep, lush green valleys and blazing volcanic craters, this active hike will be one of the most exhilarating experiences that you have in the country. You will meet with your tour guide at our base camp located in Dufþaksbraut 14, Hvolsvöllur. You also have an option to avail free pick up from accommodations nearby Hella or Hvolsvöllur area. The hike itself will last for about 10-14 hours depending on the pace that the group travels at.
Comfortable but sturdy hiking boots are necessary to have on this adventure. Make sure that you have packed everything that you would need on the hike. Below you can see what is recommended that you bring along. Wear comfortable clothing paired with warm jackets and outer shell layers of wind and waterproof jackets and pants since the weather can change at any moment especially when you are traveling in an area with a very high altitude. Our expert tour guides will keep you company at all times and will feed you some crunchy facts and figures about the landscapes that you visit during this hike so that you have a little more than just beautiful pictures to remember it.
Professional English Speaking Hiking & Super Jeep Guides
Guided 9-12 hour Hiking in the Highlands of Iceland
Super Jeep Tour from Þórsmörk and home
Pick up and drop off in Hvolsvöllur / Hella area – other pickup location on request
Beautiful sights and scenery
What to bring
Good Hiking Shoes
Warm clothing (first layer)
Waterproof clothing – jacket & trousers (second layer)
Day Backpack where you can put your extra clothes, lunch, extra snacks and water.
Gloves & hat
Meals, snacks & water
Good to know
- There is a minimum of 4 participants for this tour.In case of fewer bookings we will give you two choices: alternative trip or 100% refund. Maximum group size is 10 people.
- Fresh packed lunch is available upon request.
- This tour is available as a private tour upon request.
- This tour is suitable for both single travelers, groups and families.
- The tour departs from Midgard Base Camp in Hvolsvöllur, south Iceland.
- If you arrive early you can go to Midgard Base Camp for a cup of coffee.
- Pick up from your accommodation in the area is also included in the tour.
- Fimmvorduhals hike is 24 km and the duration of the hike can vary between 9 – 12 hours.
- The elevation of the hike is 1.050 meters.
- Jeans are not suitable for this kind of hiking.
- All our tours have the flexibility needed to make sure you have the best possible day depending on weather and road conditions
Interesting locations in the area
Hotels & Restaurants
Most frequent questions and answers
The meeting point is at Midgard Base Camp in Hvolsvöllur in south Iceland.
Driving time from Reykjavik to Midgard Base Camp is around 1 hour and 30 minutes. If you arrive early, you can grab a coffee at the camp.
Yes, we highly recommend that you bring hiking boots on all hiking tours.
We do hike in the rain, snow, wind and any other weather conditions that nature decides to throw at us. After all, we’re going on adventures! If the weather is unsafe for any reason, the trip will be changed or postponed. You will be notified the week of your trip if there are changes due to weather.
It is recommended to have a sturdy pair of broken-in trail shoes, boots, or sneakers (depending on the tour). It is preferable to dress in layers and wear clothing that will wick away perspiration and keep you dry and comfortable. We recommend that you take a small backpack with you where you can keep extra clothes. As the weather is very unpredictable we advice people to check the weather forecast the evening before.
Here is a list that is good to have in mind when packing for an active vacation in Iceland:
- Hiking Boots – Preferably of waterproof material (Gore-Tex or alternative)
- Long sleeve shirt (thermal underwear) – Wool or synthetic
- Light wool sweater or fleece (2nd layer)
- Trousers (2nd layer) – Strong and light material that dries quickly. Wind resistant and water repelling preferable.
- Rain Jacket or an Anorak with hood – Waterproof and breathable material. Gore-Tex or equivalents are preferable.
- Rain trousers – Waterproof and breathable material
- Liner Gloves – Wool or synthetic (polypropylene / polyester)
- Socks – Wool or synthetic. One or two pairs for thermal and blister prevention
- Hat or beanie – Wool or synthetic
Fimmvorduhals hike is 24 km and the duration of the hike can vary between 9 – 12 hours.
The elevation of the hike is 1.050 meters.
Please contact us to get the latest information on your desired trip.
Reservations are required for guaranteed spots on all tours. Reservations help us determine the number of guides we need to ensure that our groups remain manageable and enjoyable, and they allow us to notify you of changes to the tour due to weather or anything that could disturb the tours.
A Super Jeep will be waiting for you in Þórsmörk and take you back to the meeting point of the tour.
We understand that you may not have a printer handy when you’re traveling so it is not necessary to have a printed copy. However, we require that you show ID matching your reservation.
It is possible to have a pick up in Reykjavik for the fee of ISK 60.000 per group.