Under the bright blue sky, ice chunks floating all around you, paddling through icy water with seabirds crossing over your head and a picturesque panoramic view! Not only this, but Vatnajökull National Park also has much more than this to offer. The magnificence of this national park will leave you speechless and you will want to come back with unforgettable experiences, and memories to cherish forever. So, if you are planning to head to the glacier lagoons on the south coast, then jot down one of the foremost things that you should go for, and that is Kayaking.
Heinabergslón Glacier Kayaking is A Must
Iceland’s largest icecap, Vatnajökull, has approximately 30 glaciers that are flowing out from the icecap; it is one of the largest in Europe. Heinabergslón, a freshwater lagoon is a hidden gem of Iceland and is much less crowded than the other glacier lagoons like Jokulsarlon. 8 km north-east off of Route 1, down the gravel road, Heinabergslón Lagoon with floating icebergs awaits you. The icebergs are much more stable than the other adjoining lagoon, with fewer chances of flipping upside down. This makes it completely safe for kayaking.
Imagine paddling through the mirror-like water of Heinabergslón Glacier Lagoon with reflections of the surrounding mountains and glacier, it is indeed an ultimate way to experience the majesty of nature. A close-up view of majestic icebergs floating in the Heinabergslón Lagoon reflecting natural hues of blue, and gray, is something you cannot afford to miss. This heavenly place is perfect or we can say “paradise” for photographers and travel enthusiasts. When you reach the lagoon, you will witness an excellent view of Vatnajokull. Expect less traffic and you will have your own time to get closer to the chunks of ice!
Don’t Forget to Carry These Things Along!
You cannot predict the weather, but you can take a few extra precautions when going on a tour to Heinabergslón Glacier Lagoon. You need to be extra cautious about what you are carrying with yourself. Hop on for the tour and get equipped with appropriate glacier gear, warm clothing, dry suit, warm socks, head-protecting gear, and sunglasses too.
Professional, English speaking guide
Kayaking equipment – Kayak, Dry Suite, Shoes, Gloves, Safety vest, Kayak Paddle
All glacier walking equipment
Transportation and a 15 minutes drive from our base camp to Heinabergslón glacier lagoon
Visit to Flatey dairy farm
What to bring
Warm clothing to wear under the suit
Sunglasses on sunny days
Good to know
- When booking odd numbers; 1,3,5 etc. you use Single kayak rate
- Reasonable fitness is required for this tour.
- You will be walking on the glacier on this tour.
- The trails that you will be walking are generally in good condition, glacier travel on generally very low angle. Very little elevation gain, max 250 m (820 ft) over a distance of 2 kilometers (1.2 mi).
- You can choose between single person kayak or two person kayak, children age 14-16 always ride with adult person age 17+ in two person kayak.
We have single person kayaks and tandem kayaks for 2 persons.
- All kayaks on this tour are SIT ON TOP Kayaks. The boats are much wider than SIT IN kayaks and therefore much more stable.
- Beginners and those who have never gone kayaking before should not have a problem joining our tours.
This tour is suitable for both single travelers, groups and families.
- We recommend that you arrive at the meeting point at least 15 minutes before the scheduled departure time.
- Would you like to join a glacier kayaking tour on Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon? Check out the Kayaking on Glacier Lagoon tour.
- Are you traveling in the area during winter and would like to join an ice cave tour from Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon? Check out the Crystal Ice Cave in Vatnajokull.
Interesting locations in the area
Hotels & Restaurants
Most frequent questions and answers
Our base camp is located at a place called Flatey, located 38 km west of Höfn. At Flatey our guides will outfit all participants with the appropriate kayak equipment and provide additional gear. Flatey is one of Iceland´s largest dairy farm and visitors have the opportunity to take a peek inside the farm. At Flatey you can buy basic refreshments and get access to free Wifi.
GPS: 64.259151, -15.587038
We kindly ask you to be at the meeting point on time. We recommend arriving at least 15 min before the scheduled departure time. Late arrivals unfortunately will miss out on their reservation and it will result in the cancellation of your booking and a full forfeiture of your booking fee.
Driving time to Jökulsárlón glacier lagoon from Reykjavík is around 5 hours 20 minutes in good road conditions.
Unfortunately this tour is not available with a pick up in Reykjavik.
We recommend that you rent a car and drive along the south coast of Iceland to the meeting point for this tour.
Read more about Self Driving in Iceland here.
You will be provided with kayaking shoes on this tour so you don’t have to bring your own kayaking shoes.
Wear warm clothes. We will provide you with a drysuit for the kayaking tour.
Unfortunately it is not possible to go on a glacier lagoon kayaking tour during the winter time. However, you can join other kind of boat tours on Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon. Check out the Zodiac boat tour on Jokulsarlon.
If the tour gets cancelled, for example due to weather, we will let you know as soon as possible and you can choose between rescheduling the tour or receiving a full refund.