Adventure on The Largest Glacier in Europe
Iceland’s trip is not just about sightseeing and witnessing the beauty from a distance, but it is about experiencing it on your own by going for an invigorating plunge in the natural beauty of Iceland. And one such thing is going on snowmobile adventure on the Vatnajökull glacier, which is also the largest glacier in Europe. This tour is ideal for someone who would want to have thrill and excitement straight on the rugged and wild landscapes of Vatnajökull glacier. The stunning and breathtaking views await you over this astonishing glacier.
Don’t fret if this is going to be the first time on snowmobiles, you will be guided thoroughly by the experienced local guides and they will share information about icefields, glaciers and their impact on the environment, especially for the curious travelers. You will be given the complete instructions for driving the snowmobiles and it won’t take much time to learn the basics. The scenic rides will take you through the snowy mountains and gives you once in a lifetime experience. Iceland’s spectacular nature will make you witness the purity of snowy mountains. You will be provided with all the safety equipment to ensure complete safety while driving. The duration of the Snowmobile Tour will be approximately 3 hours. Since the weather can be brutal, don’t forget to carry warm clothing and waterproof outerwear along with reliable boots.
- Snowmobile ride on Vatnajokull – the largest glacier in Europe.
- Experienced and qualified glacier guide.
- Snowmobile per two persons.
- All snowmobile equipment needed.
- Insulated over-all
- Helmet, face cover & gloves
What to bring
- Hiking boots
- Waterproof clothes
- Warm socks
Good to know
- Good outdoor clothing and hiking boots are required.
- A reasonable level of fitness is required.
- There is a minimum 2 participants on each tour.
- All drivers must be 17 years of age or older and have a full, valid driver’s license. A learner´s permit, tractor, or motorcycle license is not sufficient according to Icelandic law.
- There are two people sharing a snowmobile on this tour. It is possible to book a single ride on the snowmobile when booking the tour.
- It is mandatory to book a single ride on the snowmobile for groups with odd number.
- No snowmobile experience is required for this tour.
- We recommend that you arrive at the meeting point at least 30 minutes before the scheduled departure time.
- The meeting point for this tour is at Hótel Smyrlabjörg. Hótel Smyrlabjörg is located 46 km west of Höfn and 30 km east of Jökulsárlón-Glacier Lagoon.
Unfortunately, we do not offer pick up from Reykjavik for this tour.
if you wish to join a snowmobile tour with a pick up from Reykjavik, we recommend the snowmobile tour on Langjokull Glacier.
We always recommend to book as soon as you are ready especially if you have a strict travel schedule or a large group. This is a small group tour so it gets fully booked pretty quickly. It is easy to change or cancel 48 hours before departure by emailing us.
Wear warm clothes. Pick clothing according to weather that day. We advise that you dress in layers.
If the tour gets cancelled, for example due to weather, we will let you know as soon as possible and you can choose between rescheduling the tour or receiving a full refund.
You do not need previous snowmobile driving experience.
Your guide will provide easy to follow operating instructions.
However, you do need a valid Driving License if you intend to drive. If there are two of you, only one of you needs to bring a Driving License but if you both bring one, each of you can take a turn at driving.
Yes, you can. The plus side to being a cold country is that our glaciers are here all year around and we can go snowmobiling in every season.
Yes, there are toilets at the base camp where the tour starts that you are more than welcome to use before and after. Unfortunately we cannot offer any bathroom breaks during the tour itself.
We provide you with an Insulated overall, face cover, gloves and a helmet.
The minimum on each tour is 2 persons. If there has been another booking for the tour, you can book for only one person.
Yes, if traveling solo you will need to purchase the single ride extra.
We do not recommend women who are pregnant to participate in our snowmobile tours. If you are traveling in a group, you are welcome to travel with them and stay at our base camp while the group goes on the snowmobile tour.
We will charge a cancellation fee of 90% if booking is cancelled 2 days or less before event