Make the most of your 3 days in the Icelandic Summer!
From witnessing the beauty of glacier lagoon Jökulsárlón to hiking on Europe’s largest glacier Vatnajökull and exploring the powerful waterfalls. This 3-Day expedition is all about exploring the majestic beauty of Iceland from a different perspective. Gear up for this minibus tour that will take you to the most famous South Coast and the Golden Circle, famous geothermal erupting Geysir, Gullfoss -, Seljalandsfoss -, Skógafoss waterfalls, and not to forget the stunning Black Sand Beach.
Making it even more exciting and thrilling, this 3-day excursion also allows you to be a part of additional adventure activities like Snorkeling in Silfra fissure or exploring the mighty Dragon Glass Katla Ice Cave. Isn’t that amazing? So, dive into the spectacular beauty of Iceland and leave the hassles of planning and organizing the trip on us.
Here is the detailed list of places that you will be visiting on this 3-day expedition. For each day, the places are mentioned along with the additional activities too.
Day 1 - The Golden Circle
The Famous Geysir Geothermal Area
The first destination for the day will be Geysir geothermal area that is home to many hot springs and geysers. This is an extremely famous high-temperature geothermal area where you will witness the two magnificent geysers “Strokkur” and “Geysir”. Strokkur is a fountain-type geyser that erupts every 5 min, while the other one Geysir represents all the geysers in the world. So, don’t forget to capture the majestic moment and also spare time to experience the beautiful views around.
Also known as “Golden Falls”, Gullfoss Waterfall will be the next destination for the day. From experiencing the hot geothermal area to witnessing the immense power of water, the transition is indeed beautiful. This waterfall creates a visually appealing sight and indisputably justifies its name. Gullfoss Waterfall is fed by Iceland´s second biggest glacier Langjökull; the melting water drops into the canyon that results in the formation of this beauty, with mist all over and if you are fortunate enough, you might enjoy a rainbow too.
Thingvellir National Park
Heading towards the next destination, the most popular place is Thingvellir National Park that is yet another “must-visit” place that can not be missed when in Iceland. One of the most iconic historic sites and national parks, which is in the east of Reykjavík. It is the place where you will visit the two tectonic plates – the Eurasian Plate and the North American plates that are drifting apart. This is the place that offers a magnificent view of such massive geographic activity. Not just this, this place is extremely famous as it is a significant place for Icelandic national history. Icelanders founded the parliament in 930 AD; chiefs used to conduct the annual meeting here, every summer. The Icelandic name “Thingvellir”, also translates to “Parliament Plains”.
Day 2 - The South Coast
Kick-starting the Day-2 on a beautiful note by visiting the absolutely stunning Seljalandsfoss Waterfall. The spectacular lush green surroundings and the drizzle all over will leave you stunned for sure. It is one of the walk-behind waterfalls that allows you to walk behind it too. The tumbled path or a short trail will take you just behind the waterfall that is actually a massive cavern, wide enough to let people stand comfortably and enjoy the scenic waterfall. So, don’t miss capturing the waterfall from behind. Prepare to get drenched in water and don’t forget to carry a raincoat too.
The next destination for the day will be Skógafoss, which is also an equally stunning waterfall that is approximately 25 meters in width and tumbles down from a gigantic cliff. It is sure to make you astonished with its natural beauty and picturesque landscape. Adding to this, there is a staircase, which will lead to an observation platform that lets you enjoy the waterfall closely and also allows you to capture the magical view around.
Skaftafell Glacier Hike
Another day and another adventure! Yes, this time a glacier awaits you. An outlet glacier, which is from one of the largest glaciers of Iceland, Vatnajökull, will be the next destination of the day. The rugged and raw nature, with spectacular views, make it even more adventurous. The glacier hike in Skaftafell will commence under the guidance of glacier experts and you will be informed about all the safety precautions you need to take during the hike. All safety equipment like harnesses, helmets, and ice axes, will be provided to ensure maximum protection. Spare out few minutes to cherish the beauty around; this place has been a center of attraction and has been a part of TV shows and films, like Game of Thrones, James Bond, and Interstellar.
This marks the end of Day-2. You will head towards your accommodation; have a delicious meal and rest well to get ready for the Day-3.
Day 3 - Jokulsarlon & The Diamond Beach
With covering major places and trying out the adventure activities on Day-1 and Day-2, here comes the last day of the tour that will make you witness the power of nature in the most beautiful manner.
Boat tour on Jökulsárlón
For those adventurous travelers and marine lovers, an optional boat tour is provided which is extremely exciting and amazing. You will be sailing amidst the gigantic chunks of icebergs in the glacial lagoon. You can experience going close to massive icebergs and can even touch them too, which is something unique. If you are lucky enough, you might see the seals too, making the boat tour even better.
Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon
One of the most beautiful parts of Iceland, Jökulsárlón is a glacial lagoon that is approximately 200m deep and is fed by melting water of Breiðamerkurjökull, an outlet glacier of Europe’s largest Vatnajökull glacier. The glacial lake is filled with huge icebergs and that are floating and flipping to the south. The visually appealing view is indeed a treat to the eyes. So, walk around and enjoy amidst the serene environment.
The Diamond Beach
From experiencing a glacial lake that is filled with icebergs, experience those huge chunks of ice standing right beside you at the Diamond Beach. Yes, to the other side of the road is Diamond Beach, where the massive icebergs the Jökulsárlón glacier lagoon floats towards the Atlantic Ocean and crashes at the beach owing to the powerful tide and winds. You will find the icebergs of all shapes and sizes right in front of you or standing side by side. Nothing less than a wonder! These icebergs sparkle like a diamond under the bright sun and the hues of blue and white look magnificent against the black sand. These are human-sized, naturally sculpted icebergs that you won’t find anywhere else in Iceland.
Reynisfjara Black Sand Beach
Now, heading towards the next destination, you will visit the stunning Reynisfjara, which is a black sand beach. This is an extremely dramatic place that gives spectacular views to capture and enjoy apart from showing you the power of nature closely. The massive waves hit the Atlantic coastline and the basalt pillars on the beach, making it look completely dramatic and visually appealing too. These basalt pillars look like geometrically symmetric enclosures, a perfect addition to the landscape. This place is also perfect for bird lovers, you might encounter dozens of bird species like razorbills, puffins over the cliffs during the summertime.
- Pick up and drop off in Reykjavik or the capital area.
- Two nights accommodation in a comfortable hotel with breakfast and private bathroom.
- Guided sightseeing to all the best locations in the Golden Circle.
- Guided sightseeing to all the best locations on the South Coast.
- English speaking professional guide.
- Boat ride on Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon
- Glacier Hike in Skaftafell
- Certified glacier guide
- Glacier equipment; helmet, harness, crampons and ice axe.
- Small groups
- Wi-Fi and Icelandic music on board the minibus
What to bring
- Dress according to weather
- Waterproof outdoor clothing
- Warm clothes
- Warm socks
- Gloves & Headwear
- Hiking boots (available for rent when booking)
- Camera (optional)
Good to know
- Order or availability of attractions may change due to road or weather conditions.
- The luggage limit for this tour is one suitcase of 24 inches per person. If you have any extra luggage, you can store it in our office for 1,000 ISK. You can add it to your booking in the booking engine.
- If you are traveling on your own, you will receive a single room. Reservations for 2 people will be allocated a double room. For bookings of 3 or more, triple rooms will automatically be allocated. If these arrangements do not meet your requirements, please contact us.
- Remember to choose the Single Supplement Fee in the booking engine if you are traveling alone.
- This tour includes a pick up from Reykjavik. You can see the designated pick up locations in the drop down menu when booking.
- You will have plenty of chances for bathroom breaks and to buy snacks on the way.
- Age limit for Glacier Hike is 8 years old.
- Pick up is from designated locations in Reykjavík on a drop-down menu at the time of booking. Pick up is not available from Keflavik airport or outside of the greater capital area.
- It is possible to book a private pick up and drop off from Keflavik airport.
- The Ice cave that will be visited on this tour is 100% natural and always changing. Since the ice caves are ever changing we will visit new ice caves each year in different areas of the glacier. The photos that you see on our website are from recent tours, but note that the ice caves might have changed due to the dynamic nature of these formations.
- Lunch & dinner is not included in the tour. We will stop on restaurants where you can buy lunch & dinner.
- It is recommended to bring some snacks and drinks for the day time adventures. Some light chips and soda should do the trick.
- This tour is perfect for groups, single travelers and families.
- You will be traveling on a minibus on this tour. The minibus includes free Wi-Fi. We will introduce you to Icelandic music aboard the minibus.
- We recommend you wear proper warm clothing, gloves, hat, scarves, and hiking shoes.
- If you don’t have hiking shoes, you can rent them at the time of booking.
- In the rare case that we need to cancel the tour because of extreme weather, road conditions or other factors, we will assist you with rebooking to another date. If that does not work out for you, you will receive a full refund for the tour.
- The minimum age bar to join the tour is 8 years for the hiking and ice caving part. If children below 8 years are on the trip then one adult will have to stay with them while the group completes these activities.
Do you have a question?
You can choose a pick up in Reykjavik or the capital area. Find the designated pick up locations in the drop down menu when booking.
If you don’t know your pick up point for your tour yet, you can let us know later. Note that you need to send us the pick up location for your tour at least 24 hours prior to the departure of the tour. It would also be great if you can give us your phone number so we can call you if we can not find you at the pick up location.
Pick up starts at the scheduled departure time on your voucher ticket. Note that the pick up can take up to 30 minutes. Please be at your listed location so our guide can easily find you.
Unfortunately we do not have a pick up in Keflavik for this tour.
If you are arriving in Iceland early morning on the day of your tour, you can take a taxi or bus from the airport to BSI bus station. The buses leave from Keflavik to the bus station every hour. Choose your pick up for the tour at BSI bus station and we will pick you up there.
A multi day tour is a tour that includes guided sightseeing and activities for more than one day. Accommodation is usually included in multi day tours.
The multi day tours are ideal if you would like to make the most of your time in Iceland.
- You do not have to worry about finding accommodation that will fit to your day full of sightseeing and activities.
- Most multi day tours are operated in small groups with personal guidance.
- The tours will drive further into the countryside and give you the opportunity to explore locations that you would not be able to do in the day tours from Reykjavik.
You will be staying in a comfortable hotel with private bedroom and private bathroom on this tour.
Yes, breakfast after each night of accommodation spent during the multiday tour is included.
You will be traveling in a minibus.
Yes, the single supplement fee is mandatory for solo travelers. This is to ensure your private room in the accommodation. There is no way to skip on the single supplement fee if you are a solo traveler.
In the rare case that we will have to cancel the tour because of extreme weather, road conditions or other factors, we will assist you with rebooking to another date or provide a full refund.
The tour can be cancelled up to 48 hours from the departure time with 85% of the total price refunded.
However, we would kindly as you to cancel the tour as soon as you know that you won’t be able to participate in it. The multi day tours require a lot of bookings on our half that needs to be cancelled in time (accommodation, activities, meals and more).
Please send us an email to email@example.com as soon as you know that you have to cancel the tour.
All cancellations requested less than 48 hours from the departure time are non refundable.
If you have more luggage, you can store your extra luggage in our office for a small extra price of ISK 1.000. Add it as an extra at the time of booking. This fee is non refundable upon payment.
Yes, and you definitely should! The setting on the tour is full of amazing, scenic views.
You will also find a tablet in the bus with information about the northern lights and how to photograph them.
For winter tours in Iceland, wear warm clothing as first layer and waterproof outdoor jacket and pants as a second layer. Hiking boots with high ankle protection is ideal for the glacier hike and ice cave experience. You will get crampons to put on your boots before you go to the glacier. If you do not have hiking boots, you have to rent them at the time of booking. A hat and gloves are also ideal for the glacier tours.
Yes, you need sturdy hiking boots for the glacier hike. They have to have hard sole and be tight around the ankle. If you don’t have hiking boots, you can rent them in all sizes when booking the tour. It is also possible to rent the shoes at the glacier hiking location.
The glacier hike is considered to be safe for anyone in good physical condition. You have to be able to walk for about an hour up and down on slopes and uneven surface.
We offer all safety equipment necessary and you will always be hiking with a professional and certified glacier guide.
This is always a personal choice and depends on your physical health at the time of the glacier hike. We have had pregnant women on this glacier hike but not all pregnancies are the same. We recommend that you read the description of the tour to get a good idea and ask your doctor about it.