Are you a fanatic of exploring places that have never been explored before? Do you feel exhilarated at the thought of traveling to a place that is known by a few and traveled by fewer? Then this exceptional tour of the hidden highlands of Iceland is just what you need to make your vacation in the land of ice and fire even more memorable. The tour will take you to one of the most difficult to reach places of the country and have you experience some of the most incredible wonders of nature that Iceland sees as its prized possessions. The tour will take you to explore the inner secrets of the Fjallabak Nature Reserve – a protected area known for its wonderful, vibrant mountains, huge geothermal area, and rambunctious volcanic activities. Let’s explore the tour itinerary and the sites that wait for you in this journey.
Fjallabak Nature Reserve
Located deep in highlands, Fjallabak Nature Reserve is the area that surrounds the hiking region of Landmannalaugar. This national reserve was made in 1979 and has been a protected piece of nature since then. The name of the reserve translates to ‘the back of the mountains’ or ‘mountain back’. Fjallabak Nature Reserve is at a height of 500 meters above sea level and filled with hot springs, volcanoes, ridges, rivers, valleys, and mountain ranges. The mountains feature beautiful colors which are a result of compounds of rhyolite – a type of volcanic rock and obsidian – a type of shiny black glass rock produced by volcanoes. These volcanic compounds give the ground beautiful shades of green, red, pink blue, and yellow making all the travel time you spend worth every second.
Suitable for hiking, walking or just to cruise around in the lap of nature, Fjallabak Nature Reserve is perfect for all kinds of adventure activities. From beginners to experts, every level of activities can be performed here in the national reserve. There are several hiking trails of every length and slope. You will visit Fljótshlíd valley, Einhyrningur or “finger peak”, Markafljótsgljúfur canyon, many beautiful waterfalls with colorful walls as a background, Mælifellssandur’s black ash or sand desert, grey and white glacial rivers, and beautiful green, mossy landscapes.
Information on the Tour
Your meet-up location for the tour will be the base camp Dufþaksbraut, Hvolsvöllur. You also have an option for a free pickup from nearby hotels in Hella/ Hvolsvöllur. The trip will start after you have grabbed a cup of coffee and warmed up. A maximum of 16 people will be in your group. You will travel to the national reserve in a powerful super jeep accompanied by an experienced tour guide. It is advised to wear sturdy hiking boots, well-insulated jackets and pants along with an outer layer of wind and waterproof clothes. The tour is available all year round and lasts from 8 to 9 hours.
Professional English Speaking Super Jeep Guide
Super Jeep Tour
Shorter hikes along the way and when arriving in Þórsmörk – optional
Pick up and drop off in Hvolsvöllur / Hella area – other pickup location on request
Beautiful sights and scenery
What to bring
Warm clothing (first layer)
Day Backpack where you can put lunch, extra snacks and water.
Good to know
- There is a minimum of 4 participants for this tour. In case of fewer bookings we will give you two choices: alternative trip or 100% refund. Maximum group size is 10 people.
- Fresh packed lunch is available upon request.
- This tour is available as a private tour upon request.
- This tour is suitable for both single travelers, groups and families.
- The tour departs from Midgard Base Camp in Hvolsvöllur, south Iceland.
- If you arrive early you can go to Midgard Base Camp for a cup of coffee.
- Pick up from your accommodation in the area is also included in the tour.
- All our tours have the flexibility needed to make sure you have the best possible day depending on weather and road conditions.
- Pick up available in Reykjavik for extra fee of ISK 60.000 per group.
Interesting locations in the area
Hotels & Restaurants
Most frequent questions and answers
The meeting point is at Midgard Base Camp in Hvolsvöllur in south Iceland.
Driving time from Reykjavik to Midgard Base Camp is around 1 hour and 30 minutes. If you arrive early, you can grab a coffee at the camp.
We recommend that you wear comfortable shoes. You do not need hiking shoes, but if you are interested in hiking around the area, we recommend that you bring them.
We do hike in the rain, snow, wind and any other weather conditions that nature decides to throw at us. After all, we’re going on adventures! If the weather is unsafe for any reason, the trip will be changed or postponed. You will be notified the week of your trip if there are changes due to weather.
It is recommended to have a sturdy pair of broken-in trail shoes, boots, or sneakers (depending on the tour). It is preferable to dress in layers and wear clothing that will wick away perspiration and keep you dry and comfortable. We recommend that you take a small backpack with you where you can keep extra clothes. As the weather is very unpredictable we advice people to check the weather forecast the evening before.
Here is a list that is good to have in mind when packing for an active vacation in Iceland:
- Hiking Boots – Preferably of waterproof material (Gore-Tex or alternative)
- Long sleeve shirt (thermal underwear) – Wool or synthetic
- Light wool sweater or fleece (2nd layer)
- Trousers (2nd layer) – Strong and light material that dries quickly. Wind resistant and water repelling preferable.
- Rain Jacket or an Anorak with hood – Waterproof and breathable material. Gore-Tex or equivalents are preferable.
- Rain trousers – Waterproof and breathable material
- Liner Gloves – Wool or synthetic (polypropylene / polyester)
- Socks – Wool or synthetic. One or two pairs for thermal and blister prevention
- Hat or beanie – Wool or synthetic
Please contact us to get the latest information on your desired trip.
Reservations are required for guaranteed spots on all tours. Reservations help us determine the number of guides we need to ensure that our groups remain manageable and enjoyable, and they allow us to notify you of changes to the tour due to weather or anything that could disturb the tours.
We understand that you may not have a printer handy when you’re traveling so it is not necessary to have a printed copy. However, we require that you show ID matching your reservation.
It is possible to have a pick up in Reykjavik for the fee of ISK 60.000 per group.
You can order the Lunch Box when booking the tour. Find it under Extras in the booking engine.
The price for each Lunch box is ISK 2.700